Takka

Recent Purchases

1394 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

My dad hustles auctions and he came up on a HP Proliant DL380P Gen8 server that he sold to me for 125 bucks

Looks like this:

Spoiler

hp-proliant-dl380p-gen8-2u-25x-2-5-sff-4

The particular model he sold me has 2 Intel Xeon E5-2640s, 16gb of RAM, and no hard drives. I'm going to get 3 2tb drives in it and set it up for RAID 5 and then after that I'll look into upgrading the RAM. It supports 768gb but I doubt I'll get more than 128.

Enclusion and Takka like this

I will finally be able to host minecraft servers with higher than default view distances.

Seriously though, while hosting games for my family and friends is definitely on the docket, I've been developing a networked application and having my own local development environment is very nice. I've been using a raspberry pi b+ for a while now and it's been great but it's starting to bog down sometimes. Getting a cheap workstation was something I had been considering but this fell into my lap so I went for it. I've also been wanting to free up the pi for some other things I've been wanting to do, like play with the GPIO header. For example, my son might get k'nex for christmas and I'm thinking of doing some cool stuff with it with him.

Enclusion and Takka like this