Takka

Recent Purchases

1400 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Sunstriker7 said:

Yes. UV radiation affects basically all polymers unless additives are used to prevent UV damage. I can't see a keyboard using such a plastic.

Choosing a keyboard in white is a particularly bad choice though because humans are filthy animals and such a high-use item will show your hand dirt and grease very prominently. Good luck keeping that clean.

Source: I'm no chemist but the durability of plastics in sunlight is of particular interest to plumbers

Although true, I've yet to see a old Xbox 360 + controller which have turned yellow over time. Maybe modern consumer electronics degrade very slowly? Only time will tell.

Still, white input devices are prone to suffer from human wear and tear.

Sunstriker7 likes this

Tiddy-bits:

On 3/13/2021 at 0:17 AM, tarikja said:

Although true, I've yet to see a old Xbox 360 + controller which have turned yellow over time. Maybe modern consumer electronics degrade very slowly? Only time will tell.

Did some googling. From this article: 

This yellowing happens thanks to a flame retardant called bromine in those old ABS plastics. When exposed to UV light, those bromine molecules can destabilize and leech through to the surface, causing the plastic to turn yellow (or even brown if left long enough). Modern plastics have improved the chemistry so this process doesn’t happen, but those old machines from the 80s aren’t so lucky.

The SNES mentioned in that article was made of ABS. ABS is not UV resistant. This bromine was able to come to the surface because the structure of the plastic is breaking down, becoming weaker in the process. The Xbox 360 and controllers were made of polycarbonate ABS which is a stronger plastic but is still not UV resistant. If you google "xbox 360 yellowing" you'll see that it definitely still happens which leads me to believe they still use bromine but it might not come to the surface as fast for some reason. Couldn't find exactly why it's more rare. Some accounts online said it happened after the controller was in the garage for a couple years, which I found interesting.

I can tell you from experience that ABS pipe left in the sun for a year does not change color at all but that could be because it's black and yellowing wouldn't show up. Plumbing codes require it to be flame resistant so I know the bromine is there. When you go to cut old sunbaked pipe it feels different. Definitely more brittle.

In conclusion, I don't think his keyboard is likely to yellow unless his desk gets sunlight from an open window or is in an unconditioned room. But it will definitely get Sceny to wash his hands more, I'm sure.

It's a real snazzy keyboard though.

Edited by Sunstriker7
a word
Takka and tarikja like this

Asus Strix RTX 3090. I already said this in the discord but it wasn't official until now that it's shipping.
It was a painful purchase but it'll shave a lot of time with AI processing and will actually be able to run the 3440x1440 monitor I just got. And maybe I can stream again without framerate inconsistencies due to the newer generation NVENC.

Also got some random GPU bracket since I just realized it's a MUCH fatter card than my current Strix 1080.

Sceny, Sunstriker7 and Takka like this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

So originally it was just going to be a GPU upgrade to my PC but I guess I'm doing an entirely new PC since I just happened to get lucky.

AMD Ryzen 5950x on a Noctua NH-D15
Corsair RMx 1000w PSU
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Mobo
2x16GB of 3600Mhz CL14 Memory
Fractal Design Define 7XL Tower Case

And then I'm gonna swap my old Noctua fans into the new case and the new case fans into the old case and sell my old rig. 

Edit; My dumb ass ordered the wrong mobo

tarikja likes this

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????

Bought a new stand-up desk for my work office downstairs. I don't have any images/links of it, but I also have a new desk and a matching desk for my SO coming to put into our master bedroom for our personal computers, as well as other furniture for the living room, dining room and new bedroom set. Going to move our current bed into the empty bedroom until my son is older so we have a guest room. We went all out on this move. 

Amazon.com: FEZIBO Dual Motor Height Adjustable Electric Standing Desk with Keyboard Tray, 48 x 24 Inch Sit Stand Table with Splice Board, Black Frame/Black and Rustic Brown Top: Kitchen & Dining

71uAaLMIhkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Enclusion and Java like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

OnePlus 9 Pro 

oneplus_9_pro-1.png

Currently messing with it and tinkering with it, but this phone is insanely fast.

Sceny and Enclusion like this

Have an apple!  apple.pngskull.png 

Double layered Cardboard Sheets

Weather Stripping Foam Tape
Window AC Vent Kit
6" Duct Connector and Duct
Noctua NF-A14 5v and 5v USB power brick

It's hot af outside and my PC with the RTX 3090 alone is kicking out a metric butt-load of heat.
So here comes the project of venting all of it outside.

The idea is to use the cardboard to construct a well fitted enclosure to take the air that comes out the back and vent it upwards using another Noctua fan and through a duct leading out my window.
I currently have my 20 inch fan blowing air in from my hallway which contains very cool air but it's not enough.
I also think the hot air gets pushed out into my hallway where my thermostat is and might be running the AC more than necessary.

Hopefully this is a very efficient solution to keeping my room much cooler since It's only an additional 5v PC fan that'll handle throwing out all the heat. I just neat the duct and cardboard to not become the hotspots.

tarikja and Takka like this

On 6/20/2021 at 7:45 PM, ShikuTeshi said:

Double layered Cardboard Sheets

Weather Stripping Foam Tape
Window AC Vent Kit
6" Duct Connector and Duct
Noctua NF-A14 5v and 5v USB power brick

It's hot af outside and my PC with the RTX 3090 alone is kicking out a metric butt-load of heat.
So here comes the project of venting all of it outside.

The idea is to use the cardboard to construct a well fitted enclosure to take the air that comes out the back and vent it upwards using another Noctua fan and through a duct leading out my window.
I currently have my 20 inch fan blowing air in from my hallway which contains very cool air but it's not enough.
I also think the hot air gets pushed out into my hallway where my thermostat is and might be running the AC more than necessary.

Hopefully this is a very efficient solution to keeping my room much cooler since It's only an additional 5v PC fan that'll handle throwing out all the heat. I just neat the duct and cardboard to not become the hotspots.

PXL_20210626_042210928.jpg

Will attempt to make it look cleaner at the top in the future.

Enclusion, Takka and Sceny like this