Takka

Recent Purchases

1405 posts in this topic
20 hours ago, Pfhunkie said:

@Skeezix the Cat Having a 12 string as your first guitar is an interesting choice. Do you have any prior experience with playing guitar?

Kinda.  I'm almost three months in.  Does that count?

13 hours ago, DiSiAC said:

Right?

Honestly I was more surprised to see first guitar and Martin in the same sentence.

Being as new as I am, I paid zero attention to brand and chose something that I liked.  The wood, the finish in particular, and the sound all checked my boxes and that was that.  Now, having read slightly more about the differences in some brands, I can say that as of right now if I were to get another acoustic, it would be a Taylor most likely because they supposedly have a brighter sound, and I like bright guitars.  But that can easily change because by the time I'd get a new one, I'm sure I'd get a dedicated electric instead of a hybrid and I don't know enough about those to know what I want yet.

13 hours ago, Sceny said:

Truth behold; Skeez is a musical prodigy.

That's the plan.  Going into the purchase it was obvious that learning on a 12 string would provide some hiccups, but I have every ounce of confidence that I will only benefit from it down the road.  Besides, I have access to three normal 6 strings to play at any given time.  Literally the only reason I got a guitar of my own this soon was because of the whole 12 string aspect.  It called out to me, and I am actually excited to get used to the pains of tuning and restringing it.

@Pfhunkie I know (now) that Martin is usually considered a higher end brand, or some would say you're paying for the name kind of guitar.  But I know they make entry level models, so why is it weird that I'd gravitate towards it?  What do people usually get as their first?  I'm just curious.  I want to soak up as many opinions, viewpoints and facts about this hobby and industry as possible ;D

WaeV likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Tiddy-bits:

1 hour ago, Skeezix the Cat said:

@Pfhunkie I know (now) that Martin is usually considered a higher end brand, or some would say you're paying for the name kind of guitar.  But I know they make entry level models, so why is it weird that I'd gravitate towards it?  What do people usually get as their first?  I'm just curious.  I want to soak up as many opinions, viewpoints and facts about this hobby and industry as possible ;D

Just because I'd expect a newcomer to go to brands that they know from general pop culture or the ones that a random friend would suggest like Fender or Taylor. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Martin; in fact, I love Martin guitars. However, the 12 string thing is quite odd. I don't know if I would have personally suggested that being your first guitar but I love them. I've wanted one for a long time myself.

Skeezix the Cat and DiSiAC like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Taylor's sound sterile.  You made the right choice! 

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

9 minutes ago, DiSiAC said:

Taylor's sound sterile.  You made the right choice!

Well I suppose I'd have to try them out to see for myself but what do you mean sterile?

oVoXWXc.png

21 minutes ago, Skeezix the Cat said:

Well I suppose I'd have to try them out to see for myself.

Oh for sure.  When you start comparing high end guitars it is truly personal preference.

My mistake for using that term as it is highly subjective musically speaking.  My issue with the Taylor was that it was a good playing guitar but its overly bright tone took away from that fat full sound I expect from a hollow body guitar.  To me it just sounded weak, almost fake actually, where as a good Martin has that rich full sound that I expect from a high end guitar. 

This opinion came about a year ago when my father was looking to blow a large wad on a new acoustic guitar for himself.  We would go to various music stores trying out their selections but always gravitated back towards the Martins.

Skeezix the Cat likes this

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

Just now, Aurodox said:

You bought an AT&T plan?!

Ew.

Aurodox likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.