What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Takka

Recent Purchases

1,382 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

1 hour ago, Tucker933 said:

Jesus christ.. lol

It turned out to be very efficient. Worth.
It's able to expel almost all of the heat.
I still have a hallway fan blowing in but I'm able to maintain room temperature and it hasn't increased.

Enclusion likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

43 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

New generator for the house:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G7GGFV6/

..and about $1k worth of accessories to make it work.

Home batteries ever became a thought? They're something I'm looking at since we use time of day costs in my area. I think like 4-8pm is triple the cost per kw/h compared to the rest of the day. No solar panels so it would charge during the cheapest hours. Run during the most expensive hours. And continue to run until near drained before returning to charge at midnight.

Also my PC exhaust box revision.

Spoiler

PXL_20210814_010235706.png

Got a backdraft damper and a leaf blower.

Well it's not actually a leaf blower but on max speed it seems as strong as one. I keep it around 1-3. All of which consumes way more power than the previous fan. But it gets the heat moving and the heat evenly distributed which makes me believe that more of the heat makes it outside before it can radiate.

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????

14 minutes ago, ShikuTeshi said:

Home batteries ever became a thought? They're something I'm looking at since we use time of day costs in my area. I think like 4-8pm is triple the cost per kw/h compared to the rest of the day. No solar panels so it would charge during the cheapest hours. Run during the most expensive hours. And continue to run until near drained before returning to charge at midnight.

Eh, not until we actually buy a place maybe. Our electric bill is around $300/mo in the Summer, so that would be really nice, but the generator is mostly to be used for the PSPS events. I dunno about you, but we get about 6 a year, 1-2 days in duration, and that's on top of the usual unexpected storm/fire outages.

The last generator did well but only output 120v... Since wife is going to start working from home all the time, being able to keep blasting A/C is going to be great. Love that I won't have to maintain gasoline all the time too!

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

17 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

Eh, not until we actually buy a place maybe. Our electric bill is around $300/mo in the Summer, so that would be really nice, but the generator is mostly to be used for the PSPS events. I dunno about you, but we get about 6 a year, 1-2 days in duration, and that's on top of the usual unexpected storm/fire outages.

The last generator did well but only output 120v... Since wife is going to start working from home all the time, being able to keep blasting A/C is going to be great. Love that I won't have to maintain gasoline all the time too!

Our bill is roughly the same or more. But a generator does make sense for you since you have to deal with that. The only time the power goes out here is if either a storm or a show off driver knocks out a power pole. And generally it becomes all hands on deck at that point with our power provider going full force into restoring the grid so it usually never lasts longer than a few hours.
But it's hot as balls and summer is a nice long 4 months. So I'd really like to combat that costs for blasting the AC. But haven't found a battery to operate in temperatures upwards of 100F and sit outside or in the garage with the capacity needed for running an AC for 4-5 hours and not eviscerate my wallet.

Looking at your generator I assume you hooked it into the fuel line coming into the home?

Edit: Found our rates. 
t8RKGpU.png

12 minutes ago, ShikuTeshi said:

Looking at your generator I assume you hooked it into the fuel line coming into the home?

That's another thing I'll be doing when we have our own house. =]

For now, I just bought three 30lb tanks (average BBQ tank is 20lb) and a dual inlet so I can hot-swap them out.

What's your electric provider? Ours is PG&E. I feel like I've asked you before though..

ShikuTeshi likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

For now, I just bought three 30lb tanks (average BBQ tank is 20lb) and a dual inlet so I can hot-swap them out.

Damn.
>Headline: Forest Fires due to explosion from three large fuel tanks ignited by baby gender reveal device.

What's your electric provider? Ours is PG&E. I feel like I've asked you before though..

SMUD. PG&E only supplies the gas line in our area.

Takka likes this

Either I scammed myself or I didn't. But I bought EKWB equipment for my 3090 from Spartan Liquid Cooling who were listed as a partner on EK's website based in the USA so I get to skip the $110 shipping fee.

I got the GPU block along with the Active Backplate block for the 3090, D5 pump and reservoir combo and a 480mm XE Rad since I had quad 120mm intakes already. Of course the necessary tubing and fittings.
But some parts are on backorder with me being #1. So it'll ship as soon as they get the last remaining parts. Hopefuly.

I'll also be picking up Thermalright Thermal Pads once it begins shipping.
The thermal pads are advertised as having ~4x the w/mk than the ones EKWB provides/sells which is why I'm going to sink extra into a different brand. Especially since it's a 3090 we're talking about.

Edit: Order was delayed because Massachusetts, where the business is located, was hit by a big storm.