What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Is sexual orientation defined by mindset or genetics?

20 posts in this topic

112300658.jpg

Many are convinced sexual orientation is a choice or that it's brought on by environmental factors, while others believe a person is born with their orientation. Is sexual preference acquired or is it hardwired into us?
A child's orientation has proven to be independent of that its parents, whether they're related by blood or not. This suggests it's neither hereditary nor environmental, however not all genetic traits are hereditary, and parental influences are not the full extent of an individuals environment.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

I posted this somewhere else, but I edited it to fit my purposes here. My argument is that sexual orientation develops along with other parts of the human psyche. This was more an argument about gay/straight being the same in terms of development, but the main points still fit this I think.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

A good example for the concept of inherent Homosexuality can be seen in, ironically, Heterosexuality. As the basis for accepting strictly Heterosexuality is completely formed within biological means, instinct follows the path of opposite sex attraction. The necessary ingredients to factor in emotional attachment such as love and loyalty, are seated within the human intelligence, and are founded within our sentient consciousness. While instinct and autonomic processes may push intelligence into a situation such as a sexual relationship, it is ultimately a choice to those under the effect of instinct. While I am not saying sexual orientation is a choice, I am saying that acknowledging it is.

In regards to sexual development and maturity, no one knows their sexual orientation when they become self aware. Human beings are born into reality with no set rules of perception functioning within our minds. Immediate environmental factors, as well as the actions of other humans, dictate the first crude outlines of perception within the newly aware consciousness. At early stages of development, small samples of outside stimuli effect the brain in an expanding process that branches out into their developed subconscious. While sexuality is effected by hard-wired concepts such as instinct, whether or not someone is homosexual is just as 'learned' as being heterosexual.

One should not mistake heterosexuality and homosexuality as two different concepts, as they are one in the same in terms of psychological development. The basis for sexual orientation lies within initial instinct, a driving force in mature development. Differences such as genitalia, gender, and sex, factor in to an instinctual orientation. As all human beings are asexually equal in the womb until reaching a certain point of sexual development, it stands to reason that all human beings are gender-neutral until they reach a certain point of development.

(Note: Do not confuse gender for sex, as gender is psychological, and sex is physical)

Sexual orientation is completely separate from gender and sex, the only variable is which label you use to describe someone. After separating these two concepts, I surmise that it is completely possible for someone to develop a homosexual orientation the exact same way someone develops a heterosexual orientation. The same applies to any other sexual orientation.
Risk, Skeezix the Cat, Takka and 1 other like this

Seriously, what is the difference between Gender and Sex? I thought they were the same thing. If you have a penis, most assume you would be a male. Then you will have those who are "genderfluid" and get pissed off because you didn't address them as a woman.

In short, these people can blow it out their ass. They're no different than feminazis.

TCK and Floofies like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Seriously, what is the difference between Gender and Sex? I thought they were the same thing. If you have a penis, most assume you would be a male. Then you will have those who are "genderfluid" and get pissed off because you didn't address them as a woman.

In short, these people can blow it out their ass. They're no different than feminazis.

Gender and sex aren't some kind of niche slang people use when they want to be 'unique' or cool, it's a real technicality that a lot of people really do struggle with. The mental and physical differences certain people have in regards to gender/sex, can, and do change. This difference can cause a lot of personal doubt and self-esteem issues that drive a lot of people to either suicide or chronic depression. It's not about what you want other people to call you, it's about who you feel you really are.

Anyone who acts like an asshole is just that, an asshole and nothing more. Just think about it, in all likelihood those people would still be assholes even if they weren't genderfluid. I myself identify as genderfluid, but you don't see me pushing it into other people's faces, in fact I don't think I ever even mentioned it on here before.

WaeV, Reginasaurus and Ambroasel like this

Gender and sex aren't some kind of niche slang people use when they want to be 'unique' or cool, it's a real technicality that a lot of people really do struggle with. The mental and physical differences certain people have in regards to gender/sex, can, and do change. This difference can cause a lot of personal doubt and self-esteem issues that drive a lot of people to either suicide or chronic depression. It's not about what you want other people to call you, it's about who you feel you really are.

Anyone who acts like an asshole is just that, an asshole and nothing more. Just think about it, in all likelihood those people would still be assholes even if they weren't genderfluid. I myself identify as genderfluid, but you don't see me pushing it into other people's faces, in fact I don't think I ever even mentioned it on here before.

Sex is biological like Mars said, and gender is cultural. Think gender stereotypes like blue is a boy color and pink is a girl color. Cars are boy toys and dolls are girl toys, etc.

Here's an example of someone who was born as a male but raised as a "girl".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

WaeV and Floofies like this

I believe it is determined by hormone levels during the development of their preference.
There are many animals that have homosexual tendencies, so it's not just humans. Besides, I don't think it matters, if it is a decision, we have freedom to make that decision. If it isn't a decision, there is nothing we can do to change that (WIth today's technology), so the problem with homosexuality is how people handle it. Who cares which it is? If the population finds out it's a choice, they'll have more reason to hate on homosexuals, "They chose to like men, who would make that choice". All that will do is alienate them more. If it isn't a choice they'll treat them as a handicap. We should just treat them like humans, cause that's what they are.

Honestly, with the amount of people in this world, I don't mind the fact that they cannot procreate, but, unless it has changed, there is a law in Florida that states homosexuals cannot adopt a child (Not sure if it's a state-wide law or federal law). The fact this was passed blows my mind. Completely destroys our constitutional rights. Some people need to be less closed minded. Just cause it's not how you would live your life, does not mean it is wrong. When it comes to preference there is no wrong answer.

Homosexuality is a huge subject, I'm trying to stay on subject at hand, but I could type a whole book on my arguments. I'm for homosexuality; however, I am not part of their demographic. I would not say it is fair to make a conclusion based off of no data. So all of this is opinionated.

On my ending note, I saw this on a youtube video and thought it was beautiful:
narrator: "Is homosexuality a choice or is it genetics"
When someone replied choice:
Narrator: "Can you tell me when you chose to like women?"

I like this, it's beautiful, if I can find the link I will share it with you all

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

Ah glad I saw this.

Well if we're talking specifically whether you find yourself attracted to males or females, I don't think it's a choice or genetics, just factors in your environment while you're developing that shape your perspective. What those factors might be, though, is completely subjective.

If we're talking about the whole spectrum of sexuality, which includes gender, then I'd have to say that it's simply up to your DNA. You are a male if you have a y-chromosome, and a female if you lack one; this is regardless of how one may change their appearance or body structure.

I'd also like to add, though it digresses a bit, that I am thoroughly tired of people here and there who yell at me for this opinion. I don't see why people are so quick to attach emotion, especially to the point where they begin claiming that any disagreement is equal to hatred.

Floofies likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

Personally I think its not something you can choose. At all.

I don't think you can choose who you are attracted to, or when you become so in love with someone you cant sleep, eat or function in any kind of useful way. OK I don't know squat about genetics and I dont remember my cells being influenced in the womb or when I was really really ikkle, but I am certain that people are born the way they are (which logically leaves the option of genetics) but I don't see how there could be a gene that determines if you play for either or both sides.

To sum up, I personally don't think its a choice, but I have a hard time believing its genetics either (which again logic then tells me its down to environmental factors)

I DONT FUCKING KNOW OK STOP STARING AT ME!!!

nicksartthread.jpg

19th person to join the forums

:D

We know who a healthy mate is depending on how much testosterone/estrogen they have (estrogen makes bigger eyes, softer skin, thicker flesh, smaller bones), so perhaps the gender dysphoria and/or homosexuality is caused by a chemical imbalance of testosterone and estrogen, and the natural curiosity of the mind while you are going through your early teens.

Sceny likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0