What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ultrafrigid

My server keeps getting boomed

38 posts in this topic

Some kid in the SX clan a few days ago came on my server and got mad because I beat his ass. Instead of just leaving and deciding never to return, he made it no secret he could nuke servers and threatened to do it to mine - which he did. And for the last few days, he - and maybe the rest of his clan - seems to've made it their life purpose to routinely comb the server list and 'purge' mine along with whatever other 'infidel' servers where they got their 'sacred' asses kicked.

I guess I'm most disturbed by the fact they have the time and dedication to ruin others' gameplay when it doesn't even affect them personally. I'd vent more but nobody cares.

My options are limited thus:

1. Change the server name I've been using for four years, by which all my friends on there know me by
2. Make the server dedicated, which I've never been able to do over the years on this computer - Windows 7, maybe

What I'd prefer... is either some technical insight... or a program I can use to stop this bullshit. happy.png Google isn't turning much up, at least, not anything I'd try until I've asked here first.

(*Morgan Freeman's God-pose*) Who can help?

My Halo PC server: MASS CTF WAR MODDED - CSS=YES

Tiddy-bits:

What actually happens? Does it crash? Regardless, make sure you're running 1.09.

It should be the latest version. It checks every time I go online with it. As for the crash, it just freezes completely. One CPU core then goes nuts over halo.exe even when minimized. I have to use the Task Manager to kill it whether the game was on-screen or minimized.

If you pay for hosting, contact your host about it.

I don't. It's not a dedicated server either.

Edited by Ultrafrigid

You host it yourself using create internet game?

Yes.

It checks every time I go online with it. As for the crash, it just freezes completely. One CPU core then goes nuts over halo.exe even when minimized. I have to use the Task Manager to kill it whether the game was on-screen or minimized.

Sounds like you're not using 1.09. Pirate, eh? ;)

Floofies likes this

I don't think he's a pirate, how could he host and play online with an illegal copy? When I used my key twice it wouldn't let me connect anywhere.

But that doesn't solve the problem, a couple things to check:

>assuming your server is set up correctly.

-Check window's logs for specific error details first, this will give us more information on where to look, possibly save ourselves some time with the other debugging steps below. (If your server is set up to have a log, that information is useful too)

-You can determine if it is a DDOS by utilizing netstat or by monitoring your network traffic in task manager

-Changing your server name does not change your IP Address, to assure all files are working correctly, manually update Halo

( http://www.bungie.ne...h/patch_109.exe )

-Run a virus scan

-Update windows for security fixes

-Try running a LAN game, If halo still crashes you'll know it's something internal, not a problem with data being sent out.

-Try forwarding halo to a different port and reconfiguring your server information.

-Try running your server from a different computer in your network.

Edited by Zatarita
Kvasir and WaeV like this

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

What has not allowed you to create a dedicated server? Does it not run? I'm somewhat doubtful that Windows 7 is at fault. Exploits are known before 1.09, so most important thing is to make sure you're on that version.

I don't think he's a pirate, how could he host and play online with an illegal copy? When I used my key twice it wouldn't let me connect anywhere.

It only won't let you connect to anything if you have it blocked in your firewall or are trying to connect to a server running on a different version.

Here's what I'd suggest you do, Ultra.

Plan A:

Run the server and leave it up for a while. After you run it and you see that your network traffic is going up in Network Monitor, run this in CMD and post the results.

netstat -a -b -n

This will show what connections are being made and on what port. Whether or not they're using Static IP (IP always the same from ISP) or Dynamic IP (changes/renews every time they disconnect and reconnect) is a mystery, so blocking connections from that IP is a 50/50 chance of fixing the problem.

Plan B:

If they're using Dynamic IP (changes/renews every time they disconnect and reconnect), you might have to go a little deeper in packet inspection to see what's flooding your network. As far as I remember, Wireshark should be able to strip the original header data off the packets. This will show their MAC address (if it's not spoofed already) and you can just block their MAC address from the router (if your router is capable of blocking MAC addresses).

Plan B.1:

If the problem persists, report the IP's to your ISP. They will most likely investigate to see who's running that range (their ISP) and contact them. They will further investigate who was granted that IP address from their DHCP server and action will most likely be taken (depending on what country they're from and their IP laws).

I hope that helps.

WaeV likes this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0