What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Should 3D printed military equipment and weapons be allowed?

22 posts in this topic

456290490.jpg

The obvious argument for militarized 3D printing is centered around cost and efficiency, being able to create what you need when you need it out of minimal materials that don't take up much space. However such a system would make technology much easier to steal because it wouldn't require any physical interaction with the goods. A skilled independent or government directed hacker could invisibly acquire advanced technologies in a matter of minutes.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

well i mean, granted that only the government gets access to it, sure. but if every would-be school shooter can just download automatic rifles then yeah no

well i mean, granted that only the government gets access to it, sure. but if every would-be school shooter can just download automatic rifles then yeah no

We already have thousands upon thousands of attacks by Chinese hackers attempting to steal government information daily, in fact it was just in the news. So it's not really about the average civilian getting access to such weapons and equipment, but rival governments or organisations.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

We already have thousands upon thousands of attacks by Chinese hackers attempting to steal government information daily, in fact it was just in the news. So it's not really about the average civilian getting access to such weapons and equipment, but rival governments or organisations.

true. i may have missed the point of the debate?

They're going to do it regardless. I don't see it as any different than using automated robots and machines to put them together.

I do see 3D printers damaging the industry sector of jobs though. The only people who will actually have to deal and operate these printers are people certified to repair/maintain (Specialized IT/Engineer certified) them and maybe a few operators.

WaeV and Takka like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

They're going to do it regardless. I don't see it as any different than using automated robots and machines to put them together.

Agreed.

I do see 3D printers damaging the industry sector of jobs though. The only people who will actually have to deal and operate these printers are people certified to repair/maintain (Specialized IT/Engineer certified) them and maybe a few operators.

I don't think all of those jobs will be replaced overnight. Metal can't really be 'printed' in this way, so any metalworking jobs would be affected little.

Im sure the consumer version of a 3d printer would not utilize metal, but more of a plastic or foam. So the risk of some kid printing out a gun and using it, doesn't seam very likely, the gun would fall apart from the generated heat; however, military grade equipment could work if it utilizes metals. They'd have to be smart about it and make sure that all of the plans are not distributed across a network. Each general could be given a thumb drive containing each sheet encrypted with a 256 bit key. Honestly, I don't see 3d printing being an issue with guns, I don't think something of like that could take a pounding, but for stuff like prototypes and containers, I could understand this.

What i think would be cool would be if they used a form of plastic, and applied some form of non-toxic finish over it, they could use the 3d printer to make stuff like plates and bowls, but if designed correctly, once the tools have been used, it will incinerate the plastic, convert it to a gas, then condense for reuse. Hell If we used normal plastic for this we could recycle any old plastic. This would reduce pollution, and still benefit the people. Then again though, I might be getting plastic all wrong.

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

If the Chinese get their hands on any plans, chances are they can build it. Or have some 6 year old build it. My answer: Go for it.

rwbysig.png

yeah, because them chinese are the real threat. you know, those guys. they're not us.

Luke, Tiel and Takka like this

a furore infra, libera nos

yeah, because them chinese are the real threat. you know, those guys. they're not us.

it's more that china is a /potential/ threat to america and they're discussing preemptive action. borders do not factor in

Edited by Die Gabellöffel

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0