What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pong

I don't mean to start a fire, but...

53 posts in this topic

^ I disagree because that may be the church's black on white unoffending belief. From what I've seen, it's not why the majority of people hate homosexuals.

PWccHNo.png

Tiddy-bits:

^ I disagree because that may be the church's black on white unoffending belief. From what I've seen, it's not why the majority of people hate homosexuals.

Not what I'm arguing. I agree that senseless hate is ignorant and hard to forgive. I'm trying to make the point that people don't worship Christianity the way it was meant to be worshipped. People do not know the true origin of their beliefs. It's like Buddhism, and the practice of becoming "detached" from all material things. It was originally only a practice for warriors, so they could detach themselves from other living people and kill more effectively. People are no longer taught the past, and ideas and reasons are skewed by those who wish to pick and choose what the Bible says and what religion means. People just want others to think like them. In the end, we can't completely know what the Bible says; there are not enough words in the english language to translate the meaning of the words from the original text. Christianity has, in many cases, simply become a mask used by people who hate homosexuals. I'm saying that the original origins of what has now become hate was simple logic, and people now do not understand the argument the church puts forth, and simply hate. I could get way more in to this, but I don't want to write a book and bore anyone. That's basically the condensed version right there.

Edited by Erynn933
Reginasaurus likes this

hyenabuddy.png

Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free. - Valerie Page

Religion (any diety) at all is purely ridiculous. Am I supposed to believe that the universe is being controlled somehow? Just because we build buildings doesn't mean that everything else is built by another. It does, however, off an explanation to Einstein. If matter cannot be created or destroyed, how did the universe start? We may never know.

God is the best in everyone, the one ideal people can always look forward to. If done correctly, it advances society, holds us to morals, and can make us help other people and be unselfish simply for the enjoyment of it and bettering others. Religion needs to be emphasized as a moral standing, not an obligatory sentence where nonbelievers are automatically selfish and not interested in the benefit of others. It's a morals system without government and law officially telling you "don't do that, unprotected premarital sex is bad", but offers insight into these things, and an unofficial government-esque management. That's why government and church has always been connected; it's natural. That doesn't mean I agree with the views on gays/priests not being married; I believe in what I stated above and do what is stated above. I don't go to mass often; that doesn't make me a "bad catholic". I just don't agree with the modern/ancient/most of the churches ideas, yet find the roman catholic easiest to believe and follow.

I believe in god as a confirmed roman catholic because I need to. It's what keeps us going straight.

7oWRJVS.gif

That's why government and church has always been connected; it's natural.

e4kLJ.png

Sorry. I like a lot of what you said, but that part just really stuck out at me.

I guess I could accept that church can provide the blueprint for a stable society, but it's certainly not required. Which is probably what you were going for in the first place. Church certainly provides government-esque management, but I prefer a more democratic/republic/minarchy/anarchy/libertarian type government, which usually comes with the bonus of freedom of religious practice.

Edited by WaeV

Not that I agree with it, but that it's true. Religion has always been intertwined with leaders of government, and even today is still shown with gay laws. People simply try to impose their morals (religion's structure) upon others; frankly most people view their governments with some disdain because they can't always help the common people. It would be bad for the government if they were enforcing religious laws in places like the U.S., Canada, and England. However in places where the powerful can have a monarchy/dictatorship, religious laws are rampant.

Edited by Ryx

7oWRJVS.gif

I guess I would say that the intertwining does happen naturally, but it doesn't ALWAYS have to happen, and there could be a natural solution sans religion. Theoretically. Not sure if that has ever happened in practice.

And that it happens naturally isn't justification, merely a... true observation. =/

I believe in god as a confirmed roman catholic because I need to. It's what keeps us going straight.

Atheists do a pretty good job of getting their morals straight without religion.

WaeV likes this

The average person shouldn't need incentive to be a good person. If you do, does that really make you a good person? Rather someone acting under ulterior motives, fearful of sufferance and/or seeking some sort of reward.

Erynn933 likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

The average person shouldn't need incentive to be a good person. If you do, does that really make you a good person? Rather someone acting under ulterior motives, fearful of sufferance and/or seeking some sort of reward.

Shouldn't but that's what it seems to require. Are you saying that if there were no laws, you'd always drive the speed limit or in high school let that jerk get away with humiliating you? People need laws and incentives, if that incentive is not to be hurt then so be it.

School authority and law enforcement, religion is basically the same now. I wasn't talking about a reward though, I was talking about a reason to act that way because that's what *insert prophet name here* told you to, and your religious community expects it of you.

Edited by Ryx

7oWRJVS.gif

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0