What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Should school be year round?

30 posts in this topic

something something talk in circles something got held back

I think I found the problem. If your teachers were really as bad as you say they were, you would never had gotten held back. The idea of this lazy teacher you are talking about typically implies that they just pass students along rather than teach. It would take something out of an educator's worst nightmare in terms of student performance to get held back by one of those "didn't care" type teachers.

But, I mean, I like school. I really do. So make what you will of the above. I just think you're blame shifting onto your former teachers.

Edited by KIM JONG UN

Tiddy-bits:

I think I found the problem. If your teachers were really as bad as you say they were, you would never had gotten held back. The idea of this lazy teacher you are talking about typically implies that they just pass students along rather than teach. It would take something out of an educator's worst nightmare in terms of student performance to get held back by one of those "didn't care" type teachers.

But, I mean, I like school. I really do. So make what you will of the above. I just think you're blame shifting onto your former teachers.

I actually wasn't held back. I also owned up to the fact that I was failing some classes on my own behalf. A lot of my teachers were excellent. Re-read maybe?

I actually wasn't held back. I also owned up to the fact that I was failing some classes on my own behalf. A lot of my teachers were excellent. Re-read maybe?

Hmm, well, to be fair, your responses up to this point have had a particular tone which made it seem otherwise. I still stand behind my original set of points, and I think that, in most cases, the traditional school system is superior. But enough arguing with you over homeschooling, this is about normal schools.

edit: also, I don't think school should be year round simply because FUCK THAT

I could come up with some argument and reasoning, but I simply don't even feel like I have to. Kids lives would be even more miserable, promoting even less performance out of them and then they also could not have summer jobs.

Seriously, I don't want to live my entire memorable childhood and teenage years going to school 24/7/365 and then get out of that and go straight to working until I die. Life would suck even worse than it does now.

Hmm. I see what you're saying about many students feeling miserable, bored, etc. What if we dropped the notion of compulsion from the equation though? If I could drop in on some extra classes through the summer, I would do it. They wouldn't have to affect your GPA in any way, simply an option of self advancement. I'd gladly drop in on extra Chem, Physics, and CS. Of course, that's not the idea that is suggested by saying "school year round," but I don't suppose you'd have any objection to optional summer classes.

tldr run around be a kid

But I don't wanna :( Edited by KIM JONG UN

I don't think schools should be year round.

I think school should be longer. When I first started highschool we had block scheduling, for those who don't know, that's 4 classes ~90 mins each, each semester was broken up into 4 quarters. This gave us time to learn our lessons, practice what we learned, and then have 30 mins left over to do our "Home work". My second year - senior year we were forced onto 7 classes a day. This was problematic, They had less than half the time they had before, to teach the same amount of information, on top of that we had 7 classes worth of homework. If you wanted to pass your classes you would have to go to school, learn the lesson, and then go home and do homework until you sleep, just to repeat again tomorrow. This is way too much pressure and most kids just say "Fuck it".

I believe this is why so many kids had "A.D.D." They cant focus on just one thing, because if they do, they will fail school. You have to be able to go home do math, do reading, do English, do history, do economics, etc, they don't have time to stop and reflect on what they're learning, instead they develop a method of "I'll figure it out when I get to it" leading to memorization instead of understanding.

I've had moments where I had questions, I had no idea how to do anything the teacher just taught, and I would have to ask a question. Since we were so short on time I would always get the "We have a lot to cover today, talk to me after class" responce. I was never able to speak with him/her after class because then I would be late to my next class, get a detention, and now have even less time to do all of the stuff I have to do. I would of done my homework in detention if the teachers didn't make you just sit there and stare at a wall.

If you add 30 mins to each class, the teacher might then have time to be able to explain WHY. That is a major issue I have with schools >.> But that is a conversation for a different thread.

Another big problem I have with schools are they keep dumbing everything down. "Oh, the kids arn't getting it, what should we do?" If the answer to that question is anything but "Explain it better" You're doing something wrong. I'm offended when I see people not even trying in school, get put in dropout prevention programs, and graduate with the same, if not better, diploma as I. It's insulting. I take classes like Trig, and Calc, Where this kid took algebra 4 years. We enable people to underachieve. Im sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm at a lack of appropriate wording right now, ironicly my brain isn't on 'Thoughtful, eloquent reply'.

But I wanna break everything down to the root:

I don't believe school is even the issue here. Even if school was all year around, we'd still have just as many kids dropping out, if not more. The problem is the mindset children have. I blame media for a lot of it. Everyone thinks "Oh, lil wayne dropped out, he has money and women." (Example not sure if that's true) Everyone drops their education to live the dream. They think the only way to excel outside of school is to listen to the people who actually did excel, in this example, lil wayne. All he talks about is having sex, making money, and doing drugs. So what do teenagers do? "Fuck school, I'll go get 10$ from my mom, buy some weed, high, and have sex with my neighbor." The people who want to be in school, are in school; however, the number of people who want to be in school are getting lesser and lesser because we're becoming more lazy as a society. We condone teenage pregnancy with TV shows like '16 and pregnant' and tell people that you need to conform to progress in life. I can rant about this for day, cause it really pisses me off. Man will cause the regression, and not notice the problem until no one remembers what physics is and why there is an english word for it.

Deeeeep breaaath.

I think they should require a highschool deploma to get into college. ANY college. We're getting too lenient, I see dropouts making 15$ an hour, while I'm stuck with 4 certifications, a highschool deploma, and a college education, sitting in my moms house on a laptop.

You want people to go to school, make them feel special for doing so. The deploma used to be special. We just need to see a GED as unexceptable.

And don't give me your "OH, I was a single mother, and my boyfriend smoked crack" story. Your choice to have sex, your choice to pick a crack head, your choice to stunt your education, but don't get pissed at me when you don't understand what I said. >.>

Im going to click add reply now, before I just rant about nothing.

Today's been a hard day >.> Need something to vent through...

Goddamn crack babies...

What happened to integrity?

[sIDE NOTE FOR TUCKER]

Your save feature seams to be a bit weird, It saves the HTML as is, So stuff like " > " get's save as the '&gt' code. .-. I'm not sure how you would fix that, or if this has been brought to your attention.

Edited by Zatarita
Takka and Luke like this

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

[sIDE NOTE FOR TUCKER]

Your save feature seams to be a bit weird, It saves the HTML as is, So stuff like " > " get's save as the '&gt' code. .-. I'm not sure how you would fix that, or if this has been brought to your attention.

We have a million things that are broken when it comes to our editor. I plan to be doing an update for the sites software soon, however the process of updating is a royal bitch which can take a month to complete.

Kavawuvi, WaeV and Floofies like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Would make learning a lot easier. Two (summer) to seven (summer + semester) months between learning maths isn't fun. But on the other hand, there are 4 months off for university, so the high school long summers help prep for that. You can't really get rid of the long summer for uni, that really requires working all summer. I work a full 40hr work week during the summer and probably wouldn't be able to cover my tuition, books, rent, and food. I am lucky and I don't require loans, I can't imagine trying to lighten the loans in the US without the long breaks of no school.

While it would be great for high school to go full year, or, have smaller more spaced out breaks as opposed to 2 months at once, it is better preparation for university by having a long summer. It's unfortunate, but the summer is necessary for students to earn money, because school is expensive.

If it weren't an issue of money, I'd say school all year round for everyone all the time. I would gladly take a week or two here and there spaced across the year over a 4 month break. I would remember more, and things wouldn't all get crammed together. As it is now, we have roughly a two week exam period, which any full time student will have 5 exams for (usually). It's almost never spread out nicely, for example:

Finals for this year I had 4 exams in 5 days. They were all at the end of the exam period, which luckily gave me study time, but some students are no so lucky. Even with this luck, by the time I finally got to exams, everyone was finishing exams and I just didn't care any more. Luckily I managed to study mostly everything before I stopped caring.

If we had a full year schedule, we could have more spread out, and more useful testing material. As it is now, many students cram to remember everything for that one day, and then forget it. If it were throughout the year, they could focus more on one exam at a time.

This, however, is a perfect world scenario where nobody has to pay money for school, and I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Now back to high school and why full year classes would be good: re-learning.

So much time is wasted at the beginning of a school semester with re-learning subjects that were taught in the previous year that must be remembered after long break periods. If school was year round, you would not get the extra long breaks, and would be more likely to remember what you previously learned in an earlier class of that subject. In this case, you could learn at an accelerated rate, and possibly finish high school much quicker, or, learn more in the time of high school, this preparing you more for after high school.

Preparing for after high school is important whether you attend post-secondary school or not. Whether you're preparing to go to university, or go straight in to the work force, there are certain things that I feel are important to learn, that aren't taught in high school. How many times are you taught how to get, and manage a mortgage? How often are you taught how to do your taxes? How often are you taught how to get a family doctor? I only learned about calculating what kind of mortgage I could afford, given a certain income. I was not taught how to approach a bank for a mortgage, or how to do my taxes, or any number of other, very practical things that everyone needs to know.

With extra time, more people could be taught practical things for life, as well as important other classes. Many people look at maths or sciences and don't see the value. I could go on for a while about why they would be mistaken, but that is for another time. What you learn in school, for the most part, is very important, but you are also NOT taught a lot of other important things.

tl;bra (but read anyways)

School throughout the year would be beneficial, but isn't practical for preparing for post-secondary school. Schools are made to prepare you for the next level, and thus the long breaks make sense. If it were possible, I wouldn't mind school throughout the year, as it would be a more spread out load.

Luke, Takka and WaeV like this

rwbysig.png

Have not read the previous posts, so this will likely be repeating in part...

There's both good and bad things to summer vacation.

Pros

• Break from school
  • Able to support family or self with a job
  • Able to focus on non-school related activities such as bettering oneself or the community
  • Faster graduation and/or information covered in more detail

Cons

• Lose past three months of information retained (I've read somewhere, although I am too out of it to look it up currently.)
  • Typically not used constructively and more oriented toward being lazy
  • Many teenagers not in school mean many teenagers causing trouble

Economic perspective

• Businesses tend to sell more products to teenagers when teenagers have more time to waste
  • Businesses can hire cheaper labor through teenagers looking to get extra money (Assuming not in a closed or union shop state)
  • As previously stated, more teenagers causing problems = more money businesses (A) have to spend to keep theft or vandalism down, and (B) resources are wasted in dealing with "problem" teenagers when they could be spent with more valuable customers
  • A break in school means a break in teachers being paid (assuming they do not get paid time off for summer) which leads to teachers being displaced and trying to find jobs elsewhere.

Edit: This post isn't meant to be fully teenage-oriented, really. Everything is relatively the same across the board.

• Businesses also make more money when kids are out of school and need to be entertained
  • Businesses still need to deal with problem (and simply wasting time-) school-age kids
  • Children (all summer break ages) create a problem for parents in that either a babysitter needs to be hired, or they need to take a break from work.
    Pro: babysitter gets money, kids are entertained and not causing trouble
    Con: Parents are sacrificing hours and/or days where they could be productive - making money for the business, instead said time is being spent on taking their school-age kids to the zoo and such.
Edited by Icstars2
Takka likes this

343OrM8.jpg?1

I live quite distanced from most of my family, so I benefit from the long summer vacations I got in high school, plus one month of summer wouldn't be quite long enough as was proposed a few times. Even though it makes sense, long summers probably don't make up half of the problem. I usually catch up in the first three weeks, or 15 out of 185 total days, since I try to get all core classes (Science, Math, Social Studies, and Language Arts) in every semester.

When I lived in the slums of Kansas for 3 years (two in junior high, one in high school), I was surrounded by people who were complete idiots who didn't want to learn; these people had failed their classes and couldn't participate in co-curricular activities due to the two failing class policy, so they would procrastinate even more, since they had the extra time, and believed it was too late for anything. I don't think those students would benefit from lengthened school days or year-round school.

What they would actually benefit from is the intuition to learn. The problem isn't that people are forgetting, I think that it's that they're not learning.

Edited by 002

Since we're all bumping this anyways im going to fully reverse my stance cause working is pretty rad.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0