Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

EST. 14th of February, 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

Should school be year round?

30 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

Fuck. No. What they need to do is get rid of bullshit standardized tests and make schools smaller. Or better yet, everyone homeschool their kids. Have your friends over and have a big homeschool party. Yay. I homeschool and when I first started I was a year ahead within two months. And I only school for two hours a day. And HOLY SHIT PUBLIC SCHOOL FUCKING SUCKS. Taking away summer vacation would only worsen that, I think. I know I HAVE to work to you know, help feed my family and there are a lot of other kids out there in the same situation. Having no summer vacation would royally fuck a lot of people.

Ruu, WaeV and Floofies like this

Fuck. No. What they need to do is get rid of bullshit standardized tests and make schools smaller. Or better yet, everyone homeschool their kids. Have your friends over and have a big homeschool party. Yay. I homeschool and when I first started I was a year ahead within two months. And I only school for two hours a day. And HOLY SHIT PUBLIC SCHOOL FUCKING SUCKS. Taking away summer vacation would only worsen that, I think. I know I HAVE to work to you know, help feed my family and there are a lot of other kids out there in the same situation. Having no summer vacation would royally fuck a lot of people.

1) Children who go through traditional schooling are proven to be better socially adapted than those who were homeschooled.

2) There is no magical curriculum to achieve roughly 1260 hours of school content (180 days x 7 hours) in 120 hours (60 days x 2 hours).

3) "Yay," and, "And HOLY SHIT PUBLIC SCHOOL FUCKING SUCKS" are not good arguments. Additionally, you should never being a sentence with and.

4) The income of a minor cannot be factored in when determining whether a household qualifies for food stamps and other social programs. I.E. if your parents make too much for food stamps, then you don't need food stamps. The source is me, as in the past month my dad lost his job, yet I can still eat.

Edited by KIM JONG UN
Tucker933 likes this

I was homeschooled and spent most of my time slacking off and not doing my work, because I simply never had to. I managed to barely scrape past the becoming weird and cut off from the world thing (because of the internet and the few friends I did have) but I still lack tons of basic common information I should have learned and plenty of social skills. I only regret it in some ways, but in others I don't.

Both sides have their advantages, but Homeschoolers say Homeschooling is better so very often and it's not really entirely true.

edit: also, I don't think school should be year round simply because FUCK THAT

I could come up with some argument and reasoning, but I simply don't even feel like I have to. Kids lives would be even more miserable, promoting even less performance out of them and then they also could not have summer jobs.

Seriously, I don't want to live my entire memorable childhood and teenage years going to school 24/7/365 and then get out of that and go straight to working until I die. Life would suck even worse than it does now.

Floofies likes this

Doldrums.png

SIx weeks? You kidding me?

Six weeks and we start school at a younger age too. Them Americans don't know how easy they haves it.

Sceny likes this

How young do you start? First grade is age 6, yeah, but there's kindergarten before that (age 5) and preschool before that (age 4). Iirc, about half of the kids in my grade had one year of preschool, and half had two years, so many (including myself) started at age 3. You really can't start much earlier than that.

I like the homeschooling sentiment mostly because I think parents should care more about what their kids learn rather than viewing school as daycare.

Also less standardized tests plz. I'd like to see more... apprenticeships I guess. Projects, actually doing stuff...

In second grade I was advanced for math and science, so I participated in the "big brother big sister" program. One of the high schoolers and I teamed up, and we built a thermometer, barometer, and other basic weather implements together. Shit was cash. Especially because I wanted to be a meteorologist at the time.

Oh, and I support summer break because kids need time to NOT have obedience, rules, and assembly-line cubicle work shoved down their throats. Summer is for LIFE learning, not job learning.

Kvasir and Ruu like this

1) Children who go through traditional schooling are proven to be better socially adapted than those who were homeschooled.

2) There is no magical curriculum to achieve roughly 1260 hours of school content (180 days x 7 hours) in 120 hours (60 days x 2 hours).

3) "Yay," and, "And HOLY SHIT PUBLIC SCHOOL FUCKING SUCKS" are not good arguments. Additionally, you should never being a sentence with and.

4) The income of a minor cannot be factored in when determining whether a household qualifies for food stamps and other social programs. I.E. if your parents make too much for food stamps, then you don't need food stamps. The source is me, as in the past month my dad lost his job, yet I can still eat.

My schooling is much, much different than public schooling. There are no standardized tests. In fact, there are no tests at all. It's flash cards. Part of the issue I had with public schooling was that half my teachers didn't care because they aren't paid well enough. Along with that, I was behind in some subjects on my own behalf, and ahead in a couple. The biggest issue there is that if I didn't withdraw when I did, I would have been held back. Which would mean I would be two years ahead in math and science, a year ahead in english, and on par with history. That is rediculously unbalanced. When I withdrew, I was able to catch up on history within a few months so almost everything was level. I can go back and take 5th grade math or whatever if I need to, and if I'm ahead I can just move on up to the 12th grade and pre college lessons. I will be able to graduate early and focus on my college transcript and saving up for college.

tl;dr they hold you back for one subject making you ahead in the rest which is horrible for your self esteem and also your focus. If you're bored, you don't focus. You get bored when you've learned the same thing twice over.

When you homeschool, you have a lot of different choices for the exact curriculum and the way you teach. Some people hire tutors, some people do it online, some people do it alone, some people do it with other families. With that there's more balance and more bonding. There are, hopefully, no shitty little kids that tease and laugh. And if you're a good parent you will be there to set examples so your child doesn't become that shitty little kid.

I really regret not withdrawing from public school sooner. Schooling at home has been so much better for me. And I'm at the point in my life where I need to focus on college, and it's a lot easier to do that when everything isn't chaotic.