Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frogz2007

How do I fix "gathering exception data" on halo pc?

104 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Wait. If I imported the elite flood into the second level, then where would he spawn? Nevermind. Forgot that I need to do the animation swapping

How would I do that?

Edited by frogz2007

Merely importing a tag doesn't mean it will spawn anywhere; you need to hook that part up, too.

In Halo, the only tag that is used by default is the Scenario 'scnr' tag. Every other tag that gets used by the map is connected together with what we call 'references'. Every tag is ultimately connected to the scenario. If you import a tag but do not reference it, the map will not use that tag.

The second thing you ought to know about is 'recursive importing'. Regular importing only imports one tag by itself. Recursive importing is usually more useful because it also imports everything that tag references. Imagine importing the pistol without importing pistol bullets - that wouldn't work too well.

An easy way to make Master Chief look like an elite is to recursively import an elite's Model 'mod2' tag, which will get the raw model data as well as the elite's skin and assorted bitmaps. Next, open Master Chief's 'bipd' tag, and use reference-swapping to replace the cyborg mod2 with the elite mod2.

Unfortunately, the swap I just described is only a third-person swap. Your hands will still look like Master Chief's, but other people (and your dead bodies) will look like elites.

Takka933 likes this

The actor tag transferred, but no biped. I want to turn a crewman into an elite flood so he fights the covenant with me. I just want the animations and model to change

If you're editing a map that already has the tags you need (pretty much any campaign level), you can just open the crewman's actor variant tag and swap the crewman biped for the elite biped.

AI and bipeds can be a little confusing. Here's a rough heirarchy:

[actv] Actor Variant

This tag is the "complete package" for an AI. It has an Actor 'actr' reference as well as a Biped 'bipd' reference. It also specifies what weapons the AI will start with. You can tweak settings such as health and color. This is how we get elites using the same model but different colors.

[actr] Actor

This tag has all the other AI settings, such as aggression and diving for cover.

[bipd] Biped

This is the brain-dead body of an AI. Without an Actor Variant to stitch mind and body together, a bipd will just stand there without moving. It contains references to the model and such.

So you should find the specific Actor Variant you want to edit, then swap bipeds. That way it will behave the same way (including being on your team), but will look like an elite with all the proper animations.

Vic Firth and Takka933 like this

But when I injected the elite flood into the level, only the actor seemed to have transferred. Nothing else

Surprise, surprise! The stupid exception error!

But when I injected the elite flood into the level, only the actor seemed to have transferred. Nothing else

That sounds like a regular (non-recursive) import.

What level are you extracting from?

What level are you importing into?

Okay. Open the Keyes level with Eschaton. Navigate to the flood elite biped and select it on the left. Choose the menu option Map > Recursively Extract Tag. In the navigation tree on the left you should see your extracted tag in a folder.

Go to "File" and hit "Open and Expand", then select the map you want to import your tag into. The process will take a moment depending on the size of your map. When your map finishes expanding, select it, and look under the "Tag Import" tab on the right to find the tags you've already extracted. Check the ones you want to import into this map, then un-check the box at the bottom right called "Do not import duplicates". You may now hit the "Rebuild Map" button. If you do not rename your map back to its original name here, you may do so manually later after the rebuild completes.

Now that your map has rebuilt, open it (regular style, not expanded) and find the actor variant you want to change (such as the crewman stranded about the map). Select the actor variant tag, then use the reference swapper tool to change the bipd tag to refer to your newly imported flood elite bipd.

Actually, I'm confused about your exception error. If all you did was import a tag that shouldn't have actively broken anything. You might be reusing already broken maps, in which case you should be starting fresh.

It's standard practice for modders to have backups of their MAPS folder always on hand. If you did this, great! If not, you can find the clean maps inside the various "bin" archives on the Halo CD.