What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Should the death penalty be legal?

22 posts in this topic

Are you saying people with life sentences should be killed?

If there is no possibility of parole, then yes. Why should tax payers money be wasted on prisoners who will never be released?

Edited by Sceny

Tiddy-bits:

If there is no possibility of parole, then yes. Why should tax payers money be wasted on prisoners who will never be released?

I think while life and death sentences are similar, they don't really equate. Most people see life sentences as worse than the death penalty, but if you're just punishing someone for the duration of their life, it's more like revenge than anything else. So I do agree, if it comes down to it, death penalty should be favored over life imprisonment.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

In its current state, no, I don't think it should be legal. For someone to be executed, it costs over two million dollars for the conventional lethal injection execution. Two million. Most people don't even make that in their life, why should that money be spent on the worst criminals in civilized countries just for them to die? If we're gonna pretend to be humane, why even execute them at all? First, I think if someone deserves to die, they should have multiple people that were harmed by the killer appealing for their removal from reality, and second, if the appeals are recognized, they should just be hung by the noose. Not even rope costs as much as a bullet, let alone specialized toxins. I don't even know why there's an execution theater, everybody involved just ends up feeling the same way as the killers once did; watching someone's life being terminated before their eyes. Senseless.

xgd0s9.jpg

they should just be hung by the noose. Not even rope costs as much as a bullet, let alone specialized toxins.

Because it calms the conscience of the people putting them to death. And is therefore in their eyes 'moral'.

I don't see an issue with the death penalty if it's done in a way that actually does save resources in contrast to life imprisonment, though it's obvious that the current state is not doing that. I'll also add that I feel like it should only be used in cases of confessed crimes or crimes with some sort of evidence that could almost certainly not be false (video, etc.)

I'll add irrelevantly that if I could plan my death down to the letter (assuming I've already lived a decently long life) I would choose to be executed by firing squad for no reason other than per request. Just sounds like a satisfying end to a hopefully satisfying life.

Takka and Quagmirian like this

Umh7x1l.gif

Yeah death penalty is fine, should be used more often. As Sceny said, life without parole should be death, convicted murders that are blatant or absolute should be death, and things of that nature. Too much tax money wasted on people that simply do not deserve life.

There's been this recent uptick as a part of the overall-good progressive thinking that all life is precious, and people can redeem themselves. Hopefully it's short-lived. There are disgusting, filthy people in this world, and it's nice and easy to believe a fairy-tale where all people are good at heart and just need a chance to change for the better. But that's story's and movies, the real world is ugly, and those people don't deserve those second chances. They had a chance, they spoiled it.

And this, mind you, is all coming from a criminal.

Edit: I see a lot of people bringing up "what if the wrong guy dies!?". That would be a very very slim number, and with the way appeals can drag things out in modern courts it's more unlikely now than ever. You're pointing to old data and saying modern technology is on par with theirs.

Edited by DeadHamster
xvii likes this

^^^

This. Pedophiles dont deserve 3 meals, books, and a room. Waste of my tax money. Serial killers? They gotta go. Gangbanger who killed 3? Gotta go too.

I believe that anyone can be a horrific criminal and commit terrible, evil crimes given the correct circumstances. I have a completely different view concerning culpability and responsibility. In my eyes, killing someone, or even punishing someone because they did bad things is not only counterproductive, it is fundamentally wrong.

We punish and reward our children to teach them right and wrong, but above a certain age this doesn't achieve anything. People need guidance in life, in order not to commit crimes in the first place, and rehabilitation when the do offend. Take the example of an animal abuser and his dog. The abuser hits and shouts at his dog all he likes, but the dog won't learn to be a nice dog. It will become an scared and aggressive dog, more likely to attack others. The abuser himself won't benefit from punishment either. He probably has deep seated issues which require attention, he needs a positive change and to learn to love his dog. Forgive me for taking out of context, but so much crime is so tragically predictable, and has the same causes over and over again. To blame an individual when you really should be blaming the system in my view, short sighted and self righteous.

Floofies likes this

... To blame an individual when you really should be blaming the system in my view, short sighted and self righteous.

If your dog mauls your daughter and she ends up nearly dead, you don't beat it, you don't say "bad dog!" and hope it learns to be nice, you put that thing down. It doesn't get a second chance to maul your son too.

That being said, in fairness you make quite a few valid points quag, and all that may or may not be true. You wanna foot the bill so we can find out?

That's my only issue with it. If they made inmates work on a chain-gang, or building public parks, highway cleanup, landscaping for government facilities, doing some form of public work, then that's cool. If they want to spend life in indentured servitude to the society that they couldn't coexist with properly, then they can have that. But to murder, rape, molest society and steal from it, and then spend the rest of your days never having to work, getting 3 free meals each and every day. That's bullshit.

I've been working legitimate and illegitimate jobs full-time for 4-5 years straight, the illegitimate work I've used to do, mind you, is not the kind that is detrimental to society. The past 3 years or so I average 5-6 meals a week. Yes, that means some days I can't afford to eat. Sometimes those "meals" look more like a bag of tortilla chips then actual food. Today for example, my "meal" was two 1oz bags of cheez-itz.

Homeless people sit on the side of the road begging for scraps, they might get 1 actual meal a week. Those people you should feel bad for, not the scum that ends up in prison.

Why should I be paying taxes so that the trash on death row can have 21 meals a week, when I'm barely surviving? Why should my money go to some sewer-rat murderer, or child molester? I need to work and pay taxes so that they can take a meal off my plate? Bullshit, make them work for their food, or put them out. I should never have taxes taken out of the money I work for to keep people with life sentences alive. For people being rehabilitated, and who will be released, that I'll pay for gladly. I believe in helping those that can be helped, but those on life sentence? They should earn their keep or get strung on a rope.

Edit: Just to be clear, I respect your opinion Philly and don't mean to be confrontational. Internet can skew intentions.

Edited by DeadHamster
xvii and Sceny like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0