Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

Nighthawk X8/X9 Mechanical Keyboard

17 posts in this topic

The Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8/X9 backlit mechanical keyboard features an individual color LED on each key switch across the board with full USB NKey rollover.

GV88Fko.jpg

The Nighthawk by MaxKeyboard is a high-end gaming keyboard featuring all mechanical Cherry MX switches with individual back-lighting in a range of colors. The advantage of mechanical keys over traditional rubber-dome is the reliability, endurance, and tactile response. However the drawback is price, and the fact that they aren't water resistant like rubber-dome keyboards are.

The only difference between the X8 and X9 models is the type of switches they use, with the X8 on Blue switches and X9 on Red.

The difference between the switches

Cherry MX Blue: "Blue switches are considered to be the best switch for typing because they have a 'clicky' tactile bump when the activation point is hit. While many people prefer them for gaming, it is not as easy to double tap as other switches since the release point is above the actuation point. The standard 'clicky' versions of Das Keyboards utilize Cherry MX Blue switches."
GjR0J1I.gif

Cherry MX Red: "Red switches are similar to the Cherry MX Blacks in that they are both categorized as linear, non-tactile. This means that their feel remains constant through each up-down key stroke. Where they differ from the Cherry MX Black switches is in their resistance; they require less force to actuate. The result is a feel that most perceive as 'smoother' and 'faster', making them especially popular among gaming enthusiasts."
7XXnUjX.gif

Pros

• High quality build with a sleek look.
  • Good variable back-lighting, which is rare among mechanical keyboards.
  • Minimal cabling while maintaining extra connectivity features such as USB and audio.

Cons

• The few macro and feature keys require a function key for usage.
  • Keys will occasionally "stick", repeating till they're depressed a second time, but this is a software issue.
Solaris and Pfhunkie like this

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I have that keyboard, only with a different logo slapped on and blue LEDs instead of white (sadly).

Edited by Btcc22
Tucker933 likes this

I have that keyboard, only with a different logo slapped on and blue LEDs instead of white (sadly).

What brand? The Max Keyboard version doesn't even have a logo or name on it.

What brand? The Max Keyboard version doesn't even have a logo or name on it.

Qpad (MK50/80/85). I think there's another brand too, or at least was.

I wish the Qpad didn't have any branding.

Edited by Btcc22

Update: The onboard firmware spazed out on me and failed to recover, so I contacted MaxKeyboard in hopes that they could tell me how to reinstall or update the firmware to fix it. Much to my surprise, they asked me to send it in, even though it was about a year past warranty (which they were aware of). They fixed the problem promptly by reinstalling the firmware for me, because evidently they had to do it.

While that doesn't speak well to the firmware, I was very pleased with MaxKeyboard's help.

DiSiAC likes this

Does it still get stuck keys? My Vengeance doesn't do that. Although the lights flicker on rare occasions, but that's probably because my mom spilled some water on it

oVoXWXc.png

Does it still get stuck keys? My Vengeance doesn't do that. Although the lights flicker on rare occasions, but that's probably because my mom spilled some water on it

Just had backspace stick on me until I hit it again, but it's using the same firmware as before, so that's not surprising. It usually only happens about twice a month, though.

For anyone looking to get a mechanical keyboard with Cherry-MX switches, I recommend buying a switch sampler first. Read all you want, but there's no substitute for actually trying the switches in person.

maxresdefault.jpg

I loathe the brown switches, but I really like green (which is basically a heavier blue).

DiSiAC, Tucker933 and Kavawuvi like this

Really wish I would have known about this before. Thanks, WaeV! Might actually buy one just to see if I might want to switch. Also slowly considering getting one for work... You know, just to let the end user hear just how hard I'm "working" for them while I'm on a call ;)

xvii, Tucker933, DiSiAC and 1 other like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002