What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Should we limit human population growth?

24 posts in this topic

337675377.jpg

As resources and space to live diminish, population control has become a controversial yet more common consideration. Limiting how many children a family or individual may have seems to be the only solution for now, and is generally considered a good idea in cases where parents do not have the means to support their children, however is it fair?

China is a good example of such restrictions being enforced.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

As much as I hate to say it, population limit while we are contained within the atmosphere of one planet would be what we need. All of our same ideas are being bounced back and forth because we're continually being passed down through the generations; our degrees of separation become slimmer and slimmer, until we only need to go through three or so people to know someone else. We're so networked that we become less of our individual selves.

The only solutions I can see are transhumanism, colonialism, or mass death, and that last option isn't so great, so here's hoping that our race finds a peaceful settlement on the matter!

Takka likes this

xgd0s9.jpg

this ain't china, son.

for real though, i can see this being implemented, if done so in a not-stupid way. like maybe limit to 2 kids a family, with appropriately severe consequences if another child is born.

of course, this probably won't be necessary anytime in the near future

Takka and Ruu like this

Are resources and space an issue yet?

Technology that is not even 200 years old has allowed us to vastly expand our capacity to support populations. The Haber process was only invented in 1909 and now "is estimated to be responsible for sustaining one-third of the Earth's population."

I wonder what the straining point is for Earth's sustenance? At this point I think transportation of food is the biggest issue.

Ruu and TCK like this

Whether there's technology for it or not, the majority of governments are struggling with the issue in one way or another. Food stamps and welfare are most often taken advantage of in cases where families have too many kids, they don't see the issue with having other people paying for their offspring's well-being.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. That's less of an ecological issue and more of a civil one, I suppose.

I can see the frustration with having to support more and more children from parents who feel no obligation towards their kids, but I can't think of a reasonable way to prevent that scenario.

This is why Stars makes Debates, I'm bad at describing shit lol but she was 3 days late.

It'll level off. Human interference is not necessary for something like this. We see birthrate falls drastically in 1st world countries to a point where if almost every country was like this, there would be virtually no crisis as far as overpopulation goes.

If that won't level it off then disease and some terrible virus will. It's how evolution works. Things work themselves out.

PWccHNo.png

A population should be allowed to reach at least 70% of the carrying capacity of whatever area they live in. This would leave some extra resources in case of emergency.

Once reached at 70%, each person is allowed one child. So if you're a couple, you are allowed two children. This allows for 0% population growth while not decreasing the population.

Basically: you *replace* only yourself.

Of course the final say is carrying capacity. If WE don't control our own population, Mother Nature WILL do it for us.

WaeV likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0