What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaeV

Other Programming Languages

28 posts in this topic

Ah, I see your criticism, then. I don't remember if my profiling was that granular, so maybe there isn't enough of a benefit there. That could be a bit overkill. It is going through about 2,400 tags, though, so it might be worth it.

Tiddy-bits:

I don't belong much in here because most of the languages I know are based around web development. That said, I'm very comfortable with PHP, Javascript (jQuery JSON), and Ruby. I know the HTML if that may be considered a language, and CSS for styling. I think that's all there really is to web development.

Client side languages (HTML, Javascript, and CSS) + Server side languages (PHP, Ruby, Java, etc) is all you really need. I'm a HUGE fan of PHP simply because of how fast it is, even though it's a bit extensive compared to Ruby sometimes, but it's such a pretty language that's simple to write and has a huge amount of frameworks that develop the most complex of web apps.

PWccHNo.png

The advantage of PHP is that it's been dominant in the web and installed on every server.. For a simple script I may use it. For anything complicated, I would probably venture into Ruby or Python web frameworks.

I would disagree. I've developed enough complicated web applications with it to say that the same thing may be achieved, but you may save a bit more time as far Ruby or Python. I also think PHP is loads more elegant.

PWccHNo.png

I've rarely heard people describe PHP as elegant -- could you explain? I'm inclined to just skip learning PHP, but you might help convince me otherwise.

If you're already comfortable with either Python or Ruby then I don't see much reason to learn PHP, assuming you're only considering it in hopes of finding new ways of thinking about and tackling problems.

Despite what vocal web developers will lead you to believe, it's very much possible to write good, clean code in PHP but I'm just not sure if it could be called elegant. Then again, I've never considered any language in and of itself to be elegant; it's about how you tackle a problem.

If you do decide to learn PHP, grab a good framework after figuring out the basics.

Edited by Btcc22
WaeV likes this

I just find it second nature to write clean code for PHP, and frameworks make it easy to tackle big projects pretty easily. Also, I find PHP to be more systematic than Ruby for some reason, even though I would say my PHP knowledge and Ruby knowledge is about the same. I see Ruby like a quick and efficient language that needs a bit of background in other languages. I see PHP as a language where you may kind of follow your own code and see what the code is doing in an almost self explanatory manner. Also, I think Ruby is kind of ugly as far as writing it goes as well, too many clumped up characters etc. I may just be finicky.

I use both languages, and I just found PHP to be my preference.

WaeV likes this

PWccHNo.png

I see Ruby like a quick and efficient language that needs a bit of background in other languages.

Ah, that hits the nail on the head. I loved Ruby coming from Java - it made OOP nice again! But I felt that niceness was something that you had to earn. I don't think Ruby is the best language to learn paradigms in, but it's a nice language to use them in.

It's the same with Rails, really. I get core Ruby because OOP experience is pretty applicable. I don't get Rails because I've never done webdev. Both Ruby and Rails assume prior knowledge, I think.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0