What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icstars2

Should a peaceful resolution be sought with North Korea or is an invasion the only option?

38 posts in this topic

I think NK is better understood in the context of the greater powers. If the US thought NK was a serious threat, they would no doubt move in to eliminate them immediately. However, NK has historically sided with the USSR/Russia as well as communist mainland China.

I'm not sure what to think about China. It's hard to separate fact from propaganda, and the US media is certainly doing some fear-mongering regarding China. I'd like to think that if NK gets too out of line then China will allow the US to take "disciplinary action".

I'm sure the last thing China wants is some US-occupied territory right on its doorstep, on the other hand.

Tiddy-bits:

I'm sure the last thing China wants is some US-occupied territory right on its doorstep, on the other hand.

I don't think we're going to occupy in the event of stomping their shit. Maybe for a bit just to be sure, but honestly there's nothing there for us except baddies.

I don't think we're going to occupy in the event of stomping their shit. Maybe for a bit just to be sure, but honestly there's nothing there for us except baddies.

That's exactly the reason we would want a base there. Look at Iraq! Prime military base territory next to Iran. It allows the US to continue to assert its dominance in the area.

That's exactly the reason we would want a base there. Look at Iraq! Prime military base territory next to Iran. It allows the US to continue to assert its dominance in the area.

true, that hadn't occured to me. but when i think of a base or so it doesn't exactly seem like an occupation, more like a watchdog

Damn been a while. I've not made a political posting in ages....

This is just speculation, I'm not in the military or anything but this is my 2 cents.

In terms of collapsing NK's government. We wouldn't have to do much. EMP (Or just Cyber Attack it.) the capital and the entire food delivery system collapses. Once that brittle infrastructure is gone then the entire country goes to ****. Food supplied from China is really the only thing holding the country together at this point. The only problem is that, once we EMP the captial and the entire country goes to ****, we'd have to secure the nuclear tech. Oh and also, the ensuing humanitarian crisis would be completely and utterly blamed on the U.S. by the world community. (Again, not good for country building. The entire Korean population could turn on us.) Our current generation is already weary from the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan along with the Economic Recession we are currently still in. No politician is going to actively preach invasion of yet another country unless we are directly or indirectly attacked.

Then there's China. I highly doubt they'd take actual military action like they did in the 50s. But it is possible. (Even without using their military, they have a ton of economic strings they can pull.) I doubt that the current administration is willing to risk anything that would upset our relations with China, either. I can't say I blame them.

Edited by blitzburns4

a992ae08-e9d5-4370-b077-011e3a82a78a_zps4de3f30c.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0