What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icstars2

Can Money Buy Happiness?

e6YORNk.jpg

From a single mother to a teenager out on the town, the difference between having money or just a collection of lint can also mean the difference between being down or happy with how things are. A gold digger is unhappy without the "gold," and a family is unhappy without the money to pay for food or bills. But, is it the money, or is it the feelings which accompanies having the ability to not have to worry about money which brings about happiness? To some, to be without money is to be without happiness - while others find it easy to live with or without, and continue on regardless. People show their status with money, from buying gifts or eating out to the way their homes are furnished. Whether or not money in itself can buy happiness, it is clear that it can have an impact on the way a person is viewed in society.

343OrM8.jpg?1

Tiddy-bits:

If you have no money (aka at least a job), you can't support yourself. If you can't support yourself, why would you waste the time being miserable and "just getting by?"

Money is a key part of happiness (having the things you've always wanted physically), but people take it for granted and their worlds revolve around it. If you can manage it properly, still have enough money at the end of the month to accomplish certain goals you wish to complete, then I'd say that's happiness in itself.

In short, make yourself financially secure, make sure your partner is financially secure, and all will be okay. I should say that's if you want a partner.

Edited by ClassANetwork
Takka, Kvasir and Kru like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

This.

The only thing with that is the classic "Money can't buy you love" which becomes a problem. If you already have love/friendships with other human beings, money could certainly still make you that much happier.

The way I see it, people either like having lots of money out of pride (I have more money than you) or because it allows them to not worry so damn much about making it as well as maybe buying a few possessions they would like/going on vacations/etc. It allows them a sort of freedom or relief.

Money is what allows these things to happen. Sure, you might be a more carefree person, but not "making it by" in everyday life is eventually going to drag you into worry. Sure, you can be broke and still enjoy life simply for the company you have or the beauty you see, but would you be happier if you ALSO were able to get some prized possession with your hard work? Or if that's not your thing, would it not make you happier if you had more money to give to charity or to see others be helped?

If your life is horrible and you're extremely unhappy, no possession or amount of money is going to just make you permanently feel better, but it sure as hell could ease the pressure off and let you enjoy your hobbies to a greater extent, just giving you that extra little bit of joy in your existence.

Is the creation of "money" in the first place the problem? Well, I guess the straightforward answer is "Yes." But as we all know, it's not anywhere near that simple. Money is necessary and even without money there would still be bartering. Money is a tool, neither good nor bad inherently, but what we do with it is what dictates whether it is negative or positive.

/thread

This debate ended quickly, Kvasir summed everything up. except giving money to the sceny fund

I used to be pretty rich; had an insane amount of money for stuffs; clothes, computers whenever i wanted them; road trips; move on a whim. But, deep down inside, missing something.

That entire time, the only thing i ever wanted was to be a mom. And, i had to wait ages for that dream to happen. Even with all my amazing stuffs that money could buy, i was miserable without a kid.

The minute she was born, was the moment i became complete. c:

Since then, i realized my dream of being a writer

Now, i'm not rich, don't travel, live in an ok place (that i own outright c:); tiny car ( i don't drive). But, im so happy to wake up everyday as i have the family i always wanted and my dream job. I'm fulfilled on so many levels.

I wouldn't mind having more money as more money would buy her more stuffs. But, i want her to value love, family, friendship and experiences more than what money can buy.

Edited by Beverly
Takka and Kvasir like this

Firstly, I would define the word, " Happiness', as a feeling that most of the things is in your life meets your goals.If we look at what happened in Newtown I don't think that any amount of money could ameliorate the pain of loss suffered by the parents who lost children. However, there are degrees of, ' Happiness" where money can enhance one's life, as stated in the article.Happiness depends upon many stages of life: in some instances money can ensure that you have the best medical care, can hire a full time aide/house keeper if you need assistance so that you don't end up in a nursing home. At a certain age the fact that the past looms larger than the present which means that we understand that illness and death are in our future in a very palpable way won't change if we have lots of money. What money can do at this stage of life is to help one go on trips and be able to afford other types of entertainment as a barrier against thinking negative thoughts relating to aging.

Creature comforts help us feel secure, especially if we have the money to pay for them.I think that there is a balance between having large amounts of money and accepting the challenges that LIFE throws in our path when we least expect it. There is no doubt in my mind that havmng enough funds to be secure is related to happiness although that doesn't necessarily happen.

Kvasir likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0