Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShikuTeshi

Origin of a name...

49 posts in this topic

Put simply. Post about how your current user name on OC came about.

So... Back in 2009, I was coming up with a name for a new XBL account. And I really couldn't think of anything. So I just thought of a couple letters and came up with something ridiculous as Bazoom. Then I added 09 regarding the year I thought of it.

I doubted that the word Bazoom was real. Everyone on XBL questioned it, and I didn't even know. *Obviously

So, 4 years later to present day 2013. I FINALLY googled Bazoom to see if it was a real word. And boy isn't the english language full of surprises.

I found a definition!

"a woman's breast; a female bosom"

Who woulda thunk?

Tucker933 likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

HighVirus was given to me by xbox too. Went through their list of randomly generated names and thought it was pretty cool sounding.

Previous name, Reginasaurus, was the first name I ever used online.

On other sites, like Furry sites, I use SilencedZorn, which has to do with my dragon character.

I've had mine for the past 7 years, only my second ever online username. As I became more known online I had less of a chance to change it, though not that I really wanted to.

I adopted the name Tucker from RvB back in its early days because that was my favorite character, and still is.

The 933 has an origin as well, which I got from the pelican V-933 on the level 343 Guilty Spark, that downed pelican. When I was younger and playing the game for the first few times it was one of the few things to capture my imagination, because there was no real explanation behind what happened to it, it was mysterious and cool. I chose to use those numbers in my name so it could be unique and I could have an identity behind it.

WaeV and ShikuTeshi like this

Well, I was looking around for a cool sounding name. Easiest path to take was to look for greek gods. I found the name "Astraios (or Astraeus)" which, to me, sounded awesome. I looked into it and it turns out he is responsible for the stars in the sky. I realized that, in a way, if I used his name it could easily match both Sci-Fi and ancient based fantasy games. It fit ancient settings because he was a greek god and it fit Sci-Fi due to him having to do with stars.

I then decided to change up the name so that I could be sure to use it on different sites without worrying if anyone else had taken it. I of course went to replacing a letter with a number and I decided on replacing the T with a 7. The first reason was for Bungie because it's their favorite number and having the number there cuts the name into two sections that are great for short names (As7 and Raios).

I was thinking recently about switching it to the alternative spelling (As7raeus) seeing as how people can't wrap their head around how to pronounce. It's just too much work to do and I can't change it everywhere. :/

Victor-933

You know, when you type out that, you don't have to put "Victor". That's designed for people to be clear about letters over the radio.
ShikuTeshi, Tucker933 and WaeV like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

You know, when you type out that, you don't have to put "Victor". That's designed for people to be clear about letters over the radio.

I know, but it's always Victor to me =]

Scarlett, because red is my favorite color.

Fayt (pronounced fate) is the main character in Star Ocean 2 and I just liked how it was spelled.

I just liked how they sounded together and I've never found it to be in use anywhere.

ShikuTeshi likes this

Sceny: My second nickname made from a xfire username... SCENE GIRLS ARE HAWT

Edited by Sceny ツ

When I was a wee lad, my friend Andrew introduced me to Halo modding with HMT. I wanted to make an account on HaloMods, but I needed a username and had no idea what to pick. I noticed a lot of these "signature" things after peoples' posts on HM, and some of them had catch phrases. I decided to pick the name "~WAVE~" with the catchphrase "Go with the flow". The tildes and capital letters were pretty stupid, in retrospect.

Then Andrew went to register a Photobucket account for me (the page wouldn't load on my end), but tildes weren't allowed, and "Wave" was already taken, so in a classic moment of Andrew-ingenuity, he misspelled it as "WaeV". I haven't changed my handle since then, circa 05? 06 maybe?

Also, he's the same dude that introduced me to Photoshop and made my first avatar:
R2TtRQk.gif

...Which I finally updated in junior year of high school, since I joined a forum which enforced exact limits on avatar size. Even though I replaced my old avatar, I tried to keep the same spirit of it.
rkN4PFO.png

I made it round for other forums without that arbitrary limit
0onGhnh.png

For whatever reason I seem to get more attached to names / avatars than most people, probably because I have a hard time figuring out who's who otherwise. Although everyone at ModHalo kept getting me and Whisp mixed up because we both had W names and a blue circular avatar, so I may have a point there. (This was around the time of halomodding.com)
In response, my avatar became red. Although Whisp stopped hanging around as much, so the point became moot.
AKktiH2.png

Recently I switched to a mashup with the space dude, but I'm not sure it will stick.
LBMFDWB.png

Edit: Latest and greatest rendition

4WvcjOj.png

Edited by WaeV
Tucker933 and Pfhunkie like this