Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icstars2

Should television shows reduce their violence?

25 posts in this topic

HcgCVtX.jpg?1

Comparing the TV and movies of twenty years ago to the TV and movies of today, the rise of pointless violence is amazingly high. If a person disagrees with somebody, they hit them. If a person is angry, they throw a plate or other random object. But, is this really what we should be showing our kids? Typically parents will plop their kids down in front of a TV and let them watch whatever it may be that comes on, without pondering how this violence may come into how they act; whether it be at home or around their peers at school. Should TV shows reduce their violence, even if not for the kids who may watch it, but just to reduce the amount of angry TV?

Tucker933 likes this

343OrM8.jpg?1

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I love violent movies, tv shows,etc. yet I'm not a violent person. When I was a kid, looney tunes was my shit and extreme, unnecessary violence was the norm. Did I ever try any of the shit that they did? Fuck no, I understood that was cartoons, it was fake and things like that doesn't work irl. I feel like it is the parents fault, they should limit their own kids to watching age appropriate shows and for disciplining them correctly when they get out of line. After working at a camp for 4 summers, it appears that the latter doesnt seem to happen anymore and the kids do whatever the hell they want.

in short, dont censor shows that kids shouldnt be watching, it only annoys us, the people who the shows are actually made for.

ps: <3 south park

TCK and WaeV like this

But, is this really what we should be showing our kids? Typically parents will plop their kids down in front of a TV and let them watch whatever it may be that comes on, without pondering how this violence may come into how they act; whether it be at home or around their peers at school.

Parents should do their job, it's that simple; not the TV producers' responsibility to keep violence away from kids.

Floofies, Kvasir and Weps like this

Umh7x1l.gif

I'd prefer people feel a greater need to sift what they want out of the TV, rather than assuming it's all safe, comfortable, and true. There needs to be less industry regulation and more personal regulation.

This would all be easier if we just abandoned TV for the internet.

Tucker933 and Kvasir like this

I'd like to point out that the OP isn't specifically about children haha.

I agree with Talis; have any of you really sat and paid attention to the pure manure that is on TV these days? I like to watch the points on youtube where they remove the laugh track from shows; it really shows how little thought goes into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFd_wOQsGQ

Edited by Icstars2
WaeV, Tucker933 and Kvasir like this

343OrM8.jpg?1

I'd like to point out that the OP isn't specifically about children haha.

But... there's a picture of a kid, followed by the question " is this really what we should be showing our kids?" o_O

I agree with Talis; have any of you really sat and paid attention to the pure manure that is on TV these days?

This. Not to mention the commercials! I watch virtually zero TV, and whenever I'm at someone's house where the TV is on, the commercials always been bamboozle me. They're absolutely bizarre.

Kvasir likes this

But... there's a picture of a kid, followed by the question " is this really what we should be showing our kids?" o_O

This. Not to mention the commercials! I watch virtually zero TV, and whenever I'm at someone's house where the TV is on, the commercials always been bamboozle me. They're absolutely bizarre.

See last sentance of the OP. :P It's directed toward the topic of kids, yes, but not specifically about children only.

I only have netflix; I'm always weirded out at commercials when I watch them at other peoples houses as well.

343OrM8.jpg?1