Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

FAQ

57 posts in this topic

Account Details
Member Titles: Custom member titles can be set from your Edit Profile page if you have a post count of at least 50.

Name Changes: Display name changes can be made once a month from your Account Settings if you have a post count of at least 100.

Monthly Raffle
Cash Prize: This can only be accepted through PayPal, or as donation credit to the community.
Staff Tickets: Each staff member has a monthly allotment of raffle tickets for discretionary transfers to non-staff members. Tickets held by staff are not displayed on the tallies list nor are they counted for drawings, so staff cannot win the raffle.

Usergroups
Administrator: Has full site privileges and are generally tasked with keeping the forum running smoothly.

Manager: A moderator with extra duties, which are generally raffle-related.

Moderator: Able to lock/pin/edit/delete user content, and hand out warning points for heavier action (described below).

Editor: Has thread-creation permissions within the News Room for the sharing of news articles. Open to anyone at the rank of Regular.

Regular: Those deemed to be active and mature enough by the the current Regulars and higher. Aside from recognition, promotion to this group has it's own special perks as a way of saying thanks, and extending trust:

• Special usergroup in Discord.
  • Ability to remove own posts and topics.
  • Double the storage space for attachments and PM's.
  • Allowed to upload a larger profile header (5MB).
  • Allowed to hand out more likes per day.
  • More extensive PM features.
  • More signature options.
  • Private forum section just for Regulars and above.

Warning Points
These points are distributed by our staff as verbal warnings to problematic individuals, however the entire staff will be notified of each warning and why they were given, so the individual is put under extra scrutiny. Each point expires after 2 weeks, but actions are automatically taken if someone manages to accumulate more than two at a time.

3 Points: Staff review of your content for 24 hours, which means your new posts do not go public until a staff member approves of each individually.
4 Points: Suspended posting abilities for 3 days.
5 Points: Indefinite ban.

Points and their reasonings are only displayed to you and the staff; they are not public.

Have a question that's not answered here? Ask it in Questions and Suggestions, or shoot me a private message!

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Member ranks have now been added, let me know your opinions. Check OP

Not a fan tbh. The stars are pretty huge and seem out of place. But like many things, I'll get used to em eventually.

WaeV likes this

Ranks and emblems always seemed exclusionary to me. Their only real purpose is to separate people into groups. They make perfect sense in organizations like the military, where you need to know who has the authority to make decisions on different matters. In a group this size, you don't need ranks to know that MMM is good at fixing computers - we just know it, you know?

As a "just for fun" thing, they're alright. But as long as you base the rank-giving on some sort of metric other than aesthetic, you're separating people. Soon new members coming in will think that the people with the shiniest emblems are the role models of the community, and at its most extreme you end up with an emblem-ocracy where ranks and prizes are valued more highly than just being chill.

We're small enough of a forum that this is probably moot, but I think emblems caused more problems than they solved at HaloMods. Also, ranks based on post count are more harmless than ones based on "merit". The ranks/emblems at ModHalo are pretty tame.

Now that that's off my chest... =P Aesthetically I'm not a fan either. They still seem too big and attention-grabbing.

Edited by WaeV