What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Let's Get Festive!

68 posts in this topic

haha, thanks kru.

I thought I edited this in immediately after posting, but I guess my phone is dumb.

So... are special characters not allowed in regular posts either?

It'd be nice if the the IP.B authors simply disallowed problem characters, or maybe whitelisted characters known to work. I mean, I can see that they outlaw stuff like [ and ] in names, but... the unicode character for "text displays in backwars order" should probably be outlawed, too.

I like technological solutions to problems.

Technocracy+three+buses.png

Tiddy-bits:

haha, thanks kru.

I thought I edited this in immediately after posting, but I guess my phone is dumb.

So... are special characters not allowed in regular posts either?

It'd be nice if the the IP.B authors simply disallowed problem characters, or maybe whitelisted characters known to work. I mean, I can see that they outlaw stuff like [ and ] in names, but... the unicode character for "text displays in backwars order" should probably be outlawed, too.

I like technological solutions to problems.

Technocracy+three+buses.png

It's more of a database issue with the usernames. Not the content in a post.

Doesn't have anything to do with the database or forum software, it's just a fact of the browsers breaking down with certain characters. It's an issue with both Chrome and Firefox, I don't know about others.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

browsers breaking down with certain characters. It's an issue with both Chrome and Firefox

Huh. Firefox and Chrome are pretty battle-tested pieces of software. I think FF is a bit more self-reliant, whereas Chrome depends a bit more on the underlying OS to understand certain text encodings. The most recent Chrome and Firefox running on computers with Vista and upwards shouldn't have any problems... (shouldn't, anyways)

The one thing that comes to mind as a potential issue is those pesky control characters that change the order of text, like this:

rtl.png

Takka likes this

I spent over an hour looking for a way to fix it without touching the database, and that involved trying other browsers including the latest Firefox. I didn't bother with IE though, lol

WaeV likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0