Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Netflix

11 posts in this topic

"With more than 27 million streaming members in the United States, Canada, Latin America, the United Kingdom and Ireland, Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) is the world's leading internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV programs. For one low monthly price, Netflix members can instantly watch movies and TV programs streamed over the internet to PCs, Macs and TVs. Among the large and expanding base of devices streaming from Netflix are the Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and Sony PS3 consoles; an array of Blu-ray disc players, internet-connected TVs, home theatre systems, digital video recorders and internet video players; Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, as well as Apple TV and Google TV. In all, over 800 devices that stream from Netflix are available."

BKtlJ.jpg

Netflix is a great way to enjoy shows and movies old, especially when you're away from the TV. I personally can't go back to watching TV for shows or even movies because I feel like I have to be tied to it and can't do anything else, nor do I have the money to constantly throw at a pricey on demand service. For $8/mo, you get unlimited HD streaming for thousands of shows and movies at either a dynamic quality based on what your connection is capable of, or at a locked quality level if you need the bandwidth elsewhere.

The Pros-
Very low monthly service cost.
User reviews for each selection as well as the average user rating are easily located.
Very reliable service that never needs to buffer because it dynamically scales the quality based on your connection.
A dynamic taste profile that recommends movies and shows to you based on your previous ratings and set interests.
Instant Queue feature allows you to set aside shows or movies you're interested in to watch later without the need to bookmark.

The Cons-
The service varies greatly in selection between countries, making it tough to find something in common to watch with international friends.
Only the US has access to the Instant Queue feature.
Non-US customers have a much smaller selection.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

I'd like to add that the library of Netflix can vary greatly; Netflix pays to have shows appear on the Instant Queue, but when a company decides they want more money the next time it comes to renew licenses and Netflix disagrees to their (often outrageous) terms, all shows from that company/station get dropped.

Trying to decide if you truly want to pay for a subscription that may vary so greatly? Try the month free trial. And while you're at it, try Hulu Plus.

Takka likes this

343OrM8.jpg?1

Netflix is much better at tv than it is at movies these days, ironically. Which sucks cause it was pretty good at movies when it first started. That said, Hulu and Netflix compliment each other well.

If you have more money to spend, and can see yourself using the rest of the Prime features, Amazon Prime actually has a better online selection than Netflix, but there are many things that Netflix does have on DVD that Amazon requires you to pay DVD price for. (Though it does become available immediately. No Snail Mail.)

Floofies and Takka like this

Doesn't Hulu Plus have ads, though?

It does, it's like a TV service on your PC. You pay for it, but you still get ads.

One of the reasons I never considered a subscription with them...

It does, it's like a TV service on your PC. You pay for it, but you still get ads.

One of the reasons I never considered a subscription with them...

No ad block lasts more than 90 seconds though, most won't go over 60. Sometimes they let you "watch" (Read: switch to another tab and mute) one 90 second ad at the beginning and then go the rest of your show ad free. Sometimes you can take a ten second survey in lieu of an ad block. Finally, when you do have ads, you can tell them whether it's relevant to you, so you'll see less mary Kay and Prius commercials.

Also it's like a fourth of the cost of similar cable tv and you don't even need a box or a dvr.

Edited by Wolf in command
WaeV likes this

If they had an option to pay more to get rid of ads, I would consider the service.

If they had an option to pay more to get rid of ads, I would consider the service.

Unfortunately for the end viewer, the companies producing those ads would much rather tell you about the latest thing than just get remibursed for their unseen ad. Note again that cable tv can cost well over four times more and still have like twice the ads. Edited by Wolf in command

The funny thing about comparing Hulu's relative lack of ads compared to cable - Back when most TV was over-the-air, one of the main selling points of cable was that you paid for the service in order to get ad-free television. Then it was ad-reduced, and finally more ads than there ever were on over-the-air TV.

Luke likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0