What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghost

Online/Offline friend mingling

Do you separate your online friends from your offline friends? Many people post personal information or details about their lives on social networks. So it would be reasonable to separate people you hardly know from online from the friends on your friend list on the social network.

However, if you think about it - Some people on your friends list may not actually be your best friends. Sure, you know them and have met them and hung with them - However, do you know them fully well? Do you know them enough to know they won't take action against you? Many times people fear online contacts may use their personal details against them. What's different though?

So. Is the solution to just let everyone get in on your personal details? (By letting online friends see your Facebook, or whatever). Or is the solution to remove identifying information? Or is the solution to keep them separated?

I personally keep the separated to a point. When I trust someone though, I send them my Facebook page, and they can see my phone number, school etc.

What about you?

Tiddy-bits:

I know better to keep my sensitive information safe on all fronts so that's not a concern for me. Personal information I don't really care about because I have nothing to hide from anyone. If someone becomes any sort of problem for me, I can cut them out of almost all the networks I'm involved with, so I have no worries.

My IRL friends come here on occasion, and I hang out with my online friends IRL when I can.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Meh. I seperate them pretty well, but don't seperate parts online really. I don't want to get doxxed online for obvious reasons, but I don't have any personal info like address or credit card online, and since I'm a minor I'm not in a registry online (hopefully).

But I don't mix the two.

Aurodox likes this

7oWRJVS.gif

I think there definitely needs to be some separation, just for security's sakes. The more time you spend on the internet, the more likely you are to find some *shady* characters; it's just common sense. But a lot of my good friends are people I've met online, I still haven't met any in person. It's not that I'm afraid to, or don't want to like a lot of people, it's just hard because so many of them live FAR away. :(

Banner%20449x73.png

I don't think I have any personal information online. I'll give away my first name, age, and country but I usually don't go into any more details than that. I never give away my address or anything like that.

I've never met anyone from the internet in real life but someday there are a couple people I would like to meet. But given I'm 16 and the two people I would like to meet are 15 and 13 it won't be able to happen any time soon as we are a really long way away from each other. :P

i keep that shit separate. i dont really use my fb anyway, although i think ive got tuck, mars, and erin as friends...

I always keep them separate. I have lot many friends on FB which I know but I keep them separate as they are far from me and I don't believe everyone so I mostly don't do personal chatting with them.

i only give my first name age and country ,thats it xd unless i have know theme for a long time and built "virtual trust" then ill tell them reougthly what part of the country i live in but thats as far as they get..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0