Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghost

The media's influence

What do you think about the media's influence on our society? What about on you? Are you influenced to go buy certain products because of what you see on the television or the internet?

Most likely you are. It's okay, most people are.

However, some media is a huge negative influence. There's a difference between a consumer being influenced to go buy a new gaming console, and little 11 year old girls dancing like strippers.

The latter is something I witnessed on the beach. There were about eight 11 year old girls dancing to call me maybe. When i mean dancing - i do not mean pointing their fingers at people and then making phone signs while putting them up to their ear. I mean full on belly dancing, and prancing around like strippers desperate for a dollar.

One of the girls went as far as saying "I holla for a dolla baby!"

After witnessing that and many other similar instances of media influence, I have decided that the media's influence is too strong. Furthermore, what they are presenting to kids, adults, and everyone is often inappropriate or negative in nature.

what do you think?

Tiddy-bits:

I think that the media has a huge grip on society right now. If people are stupid enough to believe what ever the news says, then they need a reality check.

Good question.

I think this picture sums up the power of the media's influence:

N0l6L.png

I used to lament that the news channels are not more like reddit. On reddit when someone posts a link, the top comment is usually something refuting that link. And the comment's top comment refutes the refutation. It's a great place to read and be skeptical.

Further, I love the small subcommunities reddit has. I much prefer personal recommendations from friends than recommendations from billboards, and the community feel of some small subreddits can feel like that.

But it wouldn't work. Reddit is reddit and TV news is TV news. TV is very entrenched; definitely fighting back. Plus I'm not so hot on reddit anymore.

Above all, when it comes to influence, I prefer people who I personally know and trust. The "trouble" with that is that I'll stagnate unless I meet new people and new subgroups, but it's a good motivator to not just sit around week after week.

nickweb, Ryx and Tucker933 like this

Media isn't credible for anything in my opinion. They look at you as the consumer and base their stories off of their demographic of viewers/users/opinions/etc. When I want to know about something, I want facts. Not "an expert's" take on it.

Especially when it comes down to IP and copyright law. Attorneys are trying to pass laws off of blanket statements by companies rather than looking at the hard facts of what is/isn't effective. A perfect example of this is, "Let's force google to censor and filter anything that the state doesn't agree with!" That's been a huge failure in China because all you need is a VPN and it will continue to be a failure as you cannot "regulate" the internet. It also poses a threat to the US's first amendment by filtering certain points of view and interests.

As far as copyright law goes, sure, people are assholes and will pirate material. What can you do about it? It's no different than shoplifters. Either invest in decent security or quit whining.

Edited by iTails

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

"Let's force google to censor and filter anything that the state doesn't agree with!" That's been a huge failure in China because all you need is a VPN and it will continue to be a failure as you cannot "regulate" the internet.

I wouldn't say it's been a failure just because you can get around it. Most people probably don't bother and just watch what's on the regular channels.

Say, that reminds me of another country...

What do you think about the media's influence on our society? What about on you?

Are you influenced to go buy certain products because of what you see on the television or the internet?

NO

Most likely you are. It's okay, most people are.

However, some media is a huge negative influence. There's a difference between a consumer being influenced to go buy a new gaming console, and little 11 year old girls dancing like strippers.

We need to prevent this

The latter is something I witnessed on the beach. There were about eight 11 year old girls dancing to call me maybe. When i mean dancing - i do not mean pointing their fingers at people and then making phone signs while putting them up to their ear. I mean full on belly dancing, and prancing around like strippers desperate for a dollar.

One of the girls went as far as saying "I holla for a dolla baby!"

What about the parents what are they doing? they should stop this even hapening from the start

After witnessing that and many other similar instances of media influence, I have decided that the media's influence is too strong. Furthermore, what they are presenting to kids, adults, and everyone is often inappropriate or negative in nature.

what do you think?

That's a very good point about the parents. I'd say they're more at fault for letting the child be exposed to that sort of thing.

I don't like the press. I don't pay attention to any news story that isn't about a natural disaster or some similar world event. The recent 'Amanda Todd' bullshit is a good example - I don't know the exact figures but I'm sure that at least a few hundred people a year kill themselves, and for some reason her death gets a ton of coverage? I'll bet it's inspiring some sort of 'anti-bullying' movement, as that sort of story always does.

Umh7x1l.gif

That's a very good point about the parents. I'd say they're more at fault for letting the child be exposed to that sort of thing.

I don't like the press. I don't pay attention to any news story that isn't about a natural disaster or some similar world event. The recent 'Amanda Todd' bullshit is a good example - I don't know the exact figures but I'm sure that at least a few hundred people a year kill themselves, and for some reason her death gets a ton of coverage? I'll bet it's inspiring some sort of 'anti-bullying' movement, as that sort of story always does.

exactly, like i say parents need to teach 'wrong from wright' if parent don't do this it is going to lead to problems. the fact is some people are irresponsible when it comes to that , such as monitoring what your child does on the pc, tv and outside. Im not saying be like a dictator but really this needs to stop.

I do think that "crap" like this should be removed from the media but really like i say parents need to teach that.

TV Media has probably been the most useless. We hear about some insomniac kid going viral on youtube (something we never saw around the internet ourselves), yet how many times has the tv media referred to SOPA? It barely made it into the newspapers.