Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quagmirian

A mod you've never heard of

129 posts in this topic

In b4 8 years later.

ftfy

ITT: Faggots

Ok gays it's coming just wait for Eschaton to internalize the bitmaps K?

Edited by Quag

Tiddy-bits:

Would you include a save file, so I don't have to play a10?

Ignore that. I forgot HAC2 could use 'map_name'.

Edited by Sceny
NeX likes this

Well done and pretty fun to play! Best thing in my opinion about the whole deal is that it feels VERY close stylistically to the original. Even added weapons like the battle rifle don't feel out of place.

The only downs in my opinion (and I know it's a WIP) is the quality of the visual upgrades. The spartan is very....bland and noisy. Just no crisp detail, just fuzz and blurry lines. Not sure if this is to save space on bitmap size, but it applies to the weapons, too. I think with some TLC, and about 5-10 hours of work on the shaders, the entire mod will look 2-3x as good as it does now. Currently it seems like a lot of tags thrown together with no real customization to them other than operationally, and even then only minor things like damage. Even the sniper's recoil seems to be the same as the zteam H3 sniper. 

Using Zteam assets will almost assuredly be a huge drain on space, too, what with their multiple animation graphs and all dat bullshiz. Their effects and particles seem to have overly large bitmaps as well, and I've had to tone down quite a few of them, because visually a small particle will look identical at 128^2 and 512^2 if viewed from more than arms length. The space saving is significant though.

All in all, loved it, just needs a face lift :)

Also, I have to ask, did you build this in CE and do the detail objects yourself(yourselves)? The placement was great, but I didnt bother to play the original for comparison.

Edited by NeX
WaeV likes this

KsqHutE.png

Best thing in my opinion about the whole deal is that it feels VERY close stylistically to the original. Even added weapons like the battle rifle don't feel out of place.

This is what I've always loved about FtD.

NeX likes this

This is the curse of being a good modder. All too often what you make looks so good that people just assume it's ripped.

The only downs in my opinion (and I know it's a WIP) is the quality of the visual upgrades. The spartan is very....bland and noisy. Just no crisp detail, just fuzz and blurry lines. Not sure if this is to save space on bitmap size, but it applies to the weapons, too. I think with some TLC, and about 5-10 hours of work on the shaders, the entire mod will look 2-3x as good as it does now. Currently it seems like a lot of tags thrown together with no real customization to them other than operationally, and even then only minor things like damage. Even the sniper's recoil seems to be the same as the zteam H3 sniper.

What exactly in your opinion needs to look nicer?

I noticed you've kept the same sky since your first beta.

As has been said, there's really not much that sets it apart. It's very nicely put together, very clean, but nothing stands out and made me say "wow". It feels like a set of new tags and updated bipeds that were balanced for damage and rate-of-fire.

I assume some of the scenario was edited to, I liked having the ODST sniper for example. And the new content made it feel updated and more modern, which made playing the game less of a chore.

That being said, I enjoyed it. It was very well put together, the new tags worked well and nothing felt forced or out of place. It's very nicely balanced and is a fun play through that still feels like Halo. I liked the level and had fun using the new tags.

But I was disappointed. The mod is sorely missing your plasma rifles. You don't have the things that made the mod so intriguing and interesting over the years. There were gauss hogs, a rainbow of plasma rifles, all sorts of different tags and content. I wanted to play your b30.map for ages when you were showcasing the things you were making, I've been excited to play FTD since I've first heard of it, and it's disappointing to see so much less creativity in these maps than the older ones.

Sceny and Quagmirian like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0