Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Balanced Gameplay Design - Guide

13 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

I love how your use of universal vocabulary here enables the concepts you introduce to be applicable to almost any flavor of game design. Very helpful stuff, thanks for taking the time to write it out :)

Takka and WaeV like this

I didn't notice this! I like the part about tester opinion, as they rarely have any real experience to apply to fixing the issue.

Takka likes this

I didn't notice this! I like the part about tester opinion, as they rarely have any real experience to apply to fixing the issue.

Aye. This whole guide has been how I've structured the balancing for all the maps I'm making for Rev. It's a really well thought-out approach, and it's nice because this stuff is all modeled from experience. It's not something you generally just "come up with" spontaneously. The gist of it was there for me, but at least 50% of this guide is stuff that can only really occur to you after having a few mods under your belt.

Great guide (not really a tutorial), it hits every nail on the head solid.

Takka and Floofies like this

KsqHutE.png

Big update to the OP, mostly wrestling it all together into categorized sections, but I've also added a decent amount of new content to it.

NeX likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

This is probably one of the most overlooked portions of any kind of game development. My favorite line is definitely the Tic-Tac-Toe analogy. +rep, definitely took this as a huge inspiration to everything I've ever done after reading it the first time.

Takka likes this

KsqHutE.png

On 5/29/2014 at 9:16 PM, NeX said:

This is probably one of the most overlooked portions of any kind of game development.

It really is, as it's very experience-based and subjective, but I also think many see such information as a sort of trade secret. I'm proud of the little guide that I've built up over the years. =]

On 5/29/2014 at 9:24 PM, Tucker933 said:

It really is, as it's very experience-based and subjective, but I also think many see such information as a sort of trade secret. I'm proud of the little guide that I've built up over the years. =]

Well you should be, this is excellent, as are your numerous releases.

As for subjectivity, yes, you're correct. But that's the beauty of this guide: it doesn't tell you how to develop anything. It gives you a framework of how to make something in a way that it's more likely to succeed; development may be a very personal and subjective process, but this guide isn't, so its applicable more often.

Takka likes this

KsqHutE.png

I've just added to the Balancing section of the guide, and also added two new sections: "PvP vs PvE" and "PvP Level Design".

NeX likes this

Just rewrote and elaborated upon the PvP vs PvE section, so it should make a lot more sense now.

buttonspectre likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0