Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

Guide to Balanced Gameplay Design

Members of Open Carnage enjoy an ad-free experience!

I love how your use of universal vocabulary here enables the concepts you introduce to be applicable to almost any flavor of game design. Very helpful stuff, thanks for taking the time to write it out :)

WaeV and Tucker933 like this

I didn't notice this! I like the part about tester opinion, as they rarely have any real experience to apply to fixing the issue.

Aye. This whole guide has been how I've structured the balancing for all the maps I'm making for Rev. It's a really well thought-out approach, and it's nice because this stuff is all modeled from experience. It's not something you generally just "come up with" spontaneously. The gist of it was there for me, but at least 50% of this guide is stuff that can only really occur to you after having a few mods under your belt.

Great guide (not really a tutorial), it hits every nail on the head solid.

Floofies and Tucker933 like this

KsqHutE.png

Big update to the OP, mostly wrestling it all together into categorized sections, but I've also added a decent amount of new content to it.

NeX likes this

3-boosts.png

OC Discord: Keep up with us.

This is probably one of the most overlooked portions of any kind of game development. My favorite line is definitely the Checkers analogy. +rep, definitely took this as a huge inspiration to everything I've ever done after reading it the first time.

Tucker933 likes this

KsqHutE.png

This is probably one of the most overlooked portions of any kind of game development.

It really is, as it's very experience-based and subjective, but I also think many see such information as a sort of trade secret.

I'm quite proud of the little guide that I've built up over the years. =]

3-boosts.png

OC Discord: Keep up with us.

It really is, as it's very experience-based and subjective, but I also think many see such information as a sort of trade secret.

I'm quite proud of the little guide that I've built up over the years. =]

Well you should be, this is excellent, as are your numerous releases.

As for subjectivity, yes, you're correct. But that's the beauty of this guide: it doesn't tell you how to develop anything. It gives you a framework of how to make something in a way that it's more likely to succeed; development may be a very personal and subjective process, but this guide isn't, so its applicable more often.

Tucker933 likes this

KsqHutE.png