What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Krazychic

Even Trump's biggest supporters are turning on him

42 posts in this topic

147220822415523.jpg

Donald Trump has backtracked on his biggest campaign promise, and even his most high-profile supporters are angry.

Trump’s immigration stance has traditionally been hard line and controversial; he vowed to carry out mass deportations, ban Muslims and build a wall on the US-Mexico border, which critics deemed inhumane, expensive and unrealistic.

But now, the Republican presidential candidate has signalled a possible shift that’s raised questions on whether he’s flip-flopping from previous pledges to push for mass deportations.

Now the question is, is it possible to win an election if you backpedal on your signature campaign issue? The vote is a bit over two months away, and Trump may be in trouble.

Trump is notorious for his outrageous comments on immigration.

Following the Orlando shooting, he vowed to ban all Muslim immigrants and suspend immigration to the US from parts of the world with a “history of proven terrorism” — a promise news.com.au pointed out was completely impractical from a legal perspective.

He also promised to implement a “mass deportation” of the 11 million illegal immigrants residing in the country right now.

And let’s not forget his infamous promise to build a wall on the US-Mexico border to keep out illegal Hispanics, which critics deemed inhumane, expensive and unrealistic.

But over the past week, we’ve seen a notable shift in Trump’s immigration stance.

In a Fox News segment that aired yesterday, he floated a possible process allowing undocumented immigrants to remain in America.

“No citizenship,” he said. “Let me go a step further — they’ll pay back-taxes, they have to pay taxes, there’s no amnesty, as such, there’s no amnesty, but we work with them.”

Similarly, last weekend, the Republican presidential nominee uncharacteristically met with Hispanic activists.

He said he was open to considering allowing those who have not committed crimes, beyond their immigration offences, to obtain some form of legal status.

The following day, his new campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, told CNN Trump was committed to a “fair and humane” approach to those living illegally in the US.

“What he supports is to make sure we enforce the law, we are respectful of those Americans who are looking for well-paying jobs and that we are fair and humane to those who live among us in this country,” Conway said.

When later asked to clarify if he was having a change of heart on immigration, Trump echoed Conway’s words.

“We have to be very firm. We have to be very, very strong when people come in illegally,” he told Fox & Friends.

“We have a lot of people that want to come in through the legal process, and it’s not fair for them. And we’re working with a lot of people in the Hispanic community to try and come up with an answer.”

He denied flip-flopping on the issue, but said: “We want to come up with a really fair, but firm, answer. It has to be very firm. But we want to come up with something fair.”

Quite a change from the man who, as far back as last year, vowed to use a “deportation force” to round up and deport the millions of people living in the country illegally.

It all seems to be a dangerous attempt to win over independent voters and moderate Republicans, even if at that comes at the expense of the hard-right supporters who have, until now, endorsed him by the million.

Source

Tiddy-bits:

Trump is going to wind up being deserted by his party.

The sad thing is that Hillary will most likely be elected so the American people lose no matter what.

Puddin likes this

I don't think there is a politician alive today that cares about anything but their wallets and power. The days of People in power for the good of the people is long gone. Fuck em all.

Crazypantz, Sceny, xvii and 1 other like this

h2_zpsdpjizr8c.jpg

The problem is that politicians get too used to the perks they enjoy.

I think term limits for Senators and House members would go a long way towards making things better.

Puddin and Tiamat like this

The problem is that politicians get too used to the perks they enjoy.

I think term limits for Senators and House members would go a long way towards making things better.

Good luck implementing that through the Senate...

ZFkXnuW.png External link

Good luck implementing that through the Senate...

I know, it's never going to happen we've basically got a new Ruling Class in this country now.

I'm not seeing were his biggest supporters are turning on him, guess they forgot to include that part. Also, most of what Trump has said has been put out of context...as it is now. Trump may be crude and crass, but he's also running an global fiscal empire and forming a realistic plan of action on how to tackle immigration is sound.

Immigration is an issue, not just for the US, but across the globe. Countries can't sustain massive influxes of undocumented individuals and families that come and utilize state services and work within their respective national economy, while not paying taxes or other costs.

Then comes the issue of uncontrolled goods, plant life, and sick individuals. As well as crime and terrorism. 

xvii and Finch like this

1 hour ago, Finch said:

People would rather vote for Trump than ever have Hillary as a president

I think this works both ways.

With all the uproar Trump gets even from his own party, I don't think that either choice would be a satisfying one in the end. :l

Takka likes this

All I have to say is that this will be a close election.

I know who I am voting for, but it could go either way tbh, and it's sad because both candidates aren't very good.

Finch likes this