What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krazychic

Cats vs Dogs

23 posts in this topic

Most people have a preference between a cat or a dog as a pet.  In my experience I have only ever owned cats and am not too fond of dogs.

I looked after my brothers bull terrier x red healer for some time and it was a sook.  While walking him I was attacked by a ridge back, my boy cowered around my legs, I was bitten, police involvement resulted.

I can't fathom people allowing their dog/s sleep with them in bed although cat/s I can.  There are certain dog breeds I admire for their coats, personality and physique but I could never own one.

Cats to me are the ultimate choice between the two.

What's your experience and why would you prefer one over the other?

Edited by Krazychic
Takka likes this

Tiddy-bits:

Dog. Mans best friend.

Dogs are loyal. protective and can lick their own balls...dogs are your pet, you are a cats pet.

^Pretty much

I've always had dogs. I couldn't imagine life without at least one (I have 5 atm).

I've got a strong preference for dogs, but that's probably because I grew up with them.

I've always had dogs. I couldn't imagine life without at least one (I have 5 atm).

It killed me when two of my dogs died a few months back. Feels empty without them.

I have had a total of nine cats.  After some have died and some run away I have four.

ZFkXnuW.png External link

In my experience, the cats vs dogs preference correlates heavily to one's view of human interaction in general.

Dogs are much more like a furry "pure" person as a companion than they are as a simple "pet".

When I think of the word "pet", I really think of animals that rely on you 100% for survival, would likely not survive on their own anymore, and have a very limited personality. Something like a hamster, lizard, snake, or gerbil. Rats are arguable because they're so smart, and maybe this isn't a great analogy, but cats and dogs really seem to have more personality and less reliance on their owner than other animals we think of as pets (fish anyone?).

People tend to like dogs because they are a companion - they are loyal to a fault, defend their owner, and lavish them with unconditional love and admiration. They become more of a friend than a pet in the traditional sense (unless you get a rat-dog like a pooka-poo or some bullshit).

All of those things are reasons that I love dogs - but they're also reasons I don't want to own one. I've had a dog all through my childhood while living with my parents, and they still have one now that I got as a puppy long before I moved out. I can't say I really miss the dog at all, though. It's well trained, very affectionate, but god fucking damn it, dogs just....irritate the shit out of me.  

Dogs are a lot more like people than cats are. And people annoy the shit out of me. Dogs do, too. It usually takes longer for me to get tired of a dog's presence than a person's, but it happens within hours. I find myself making excuses to not go over to peoples houses who have dogs, because I just am...repulsed by them.  

I'm personally very introverted - not in the socially awkward, sweating and hiding in a dark room type, just that being around people drains me very quickly. It's one of the perks to a desk job over something like retail for me.  I'm not more quirky or awkward around people than the average person, but I just....tire of it, really fast. Party? I'll stay for a few hours, probably 4 tops, and then I just long for solitude and quiet.

Cats for me don't ever over-insert themselves into my life. Eating food? It's not begging. Even well trained dogs are human enough to bug me. Your dog doesn't beg? Great, it does something else that's annoying. They require being walked if you don't have a huge yard. You have to clean their shit out of the yard, or when you take them out.  House training is not a fun period. They are likely to chew on things occasionally.  

Most dogs bark at shit. Barking dog sounds is #2 on my list of annoying ass sounds that make me see red, right behind babies crying.  Babies are way worse, but dog barking is right behind it.

Now, someone always comes along and says the classic shit: "But dude if you train ur doge they do none of that"

Which is not true. Maybe 1 out of 50 well-trained dogs will do none of the annoying things on that list. But I've never met a cat that does any of those. Beg for food? Nope. Barks? I've seen a video of it, but never seen it in person. Shit in your house? Only if they're trapped or sick (which makes them on-par with dogs). House training? Every cat I've ever owned from kitten age (< 3 months) can use a litterbox immediately. No stink. Clean it once a week, it's a 2 minute job.

They inherently better to pet and cuddle than a dog. Dogs are....boney and lumpy and their fur is generally coarse and wirey. There are a few exceptions, generally with smaller dogs, but still. Unless your dog is fat as fuck, they are nowhere near as supple as a cat.  My cat's fur is soft like silk. Not quite chinchilla soft, but it's amazing. He grooms/cleans himself constantly, never smells, never rolls in shit, is always wanting to lay on my lap or get pet. 

Dogs are better for protection, they're better for hunting, and they're better for friendship if you have no human friends (like a homeless person, of course they want a dog). But for people in a situation like mine, I can't see any reason to want a dog over a cat.

Another reason I like cats is because they're almost completely instinctual creatures. Dogs mix well with humans precisely because of their evolved pack-dependency. They click with a social group immediately, they know their place quickly and where they stand in it. Unruly dogs are usually just mistakenly considering themselves the alpha in that relationship.

But cats are a solitary hunting creature. With the exception of lions, most wild cats are solo except when mating.  My cat loves to play - but he can entertain himself with a milk ring for hours. He's graceful to a fault, in a way that makes watching him move a pleasure in itself.  Seeing him jump onto the bed without my being able to feel it is fascinating.  Their movements are so...ethereal...they seem to move without conscious thought.  At times I look at my cat and know exactly what's going on in his head. He wants food, or attention/love, or to play. But other times I can look at him and he stares at me and it's like trying to read the symbols of an alien language. It's absolutely fascinating.

They're less predictable because of this, too. I can put him in the same situations repeatedly and get crazy different actions or reactions out of him each time. Trying to comprehend what in the fuck he's doing or why is like a never-ending riddle, and in the end it's fun to just sit back and chuckle because I have no fucking idea.

That being said, he's never mean, has never bit/scratched me. We play rough, I get down and wrestle around with him, and he'll "gnaw" on me with no pressure, or bat me with his claws retracted, but never hurts me at all.  I come home from work and he'll be at the door meowing, won't let me alone until he gets a few minutes of love and attention. I sit, and he's in my lap or sitting beside me. 

I dunno. I feel like cats are so mysterious and interesting, and dogs are just like four legged people with tiny brains. I don't really like people, so I don't really like dogs.

I'm not trying to "cat master race" everyone, but I haven't seen any real posts about why people like cats here, just a few "i like cats" or "cats for me", but a few long posts about why dogs are the shit, so I figured I'd try and level out the discussion a bit.

Takka, Iggy and WaeV like this

KsqHutE.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0