What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickweb

Nick's RC Racing Thread

33 posts in this topic

I mentioned to Tucker about making a thread for my race nights, so here it is. :D

I'll start off by adding a video I took yesterday using a new toy I bought myself: a HobbyKing HD Wing Cam (designed for use on RC planes, but works just as well on a RC car)

Take a ride on my buggy!

If anyones into this stuff, I have a Team Associated B4.1 Factory Team 2WD off-road buggy.

This is she:

1380288_10153309182430198_958127705_n.jp

And I know you want some crash damage pics, this happened the other week, I overcooked a corner and hopped into the big high speed straight, tried to hop back over into the right part of the track but got smashed into by a 4WD going full speed.

1474391_10153607595515198_1370085200_n.j

Broke front right A-arm and shock tower, but got it fixed a few days later:

1477668_10153628703955198_1309417068_n.j

Yesterday we had a full afternoon of heats and finals, came in at 3rd place overall for the day.

Skeezix the Cat, Takka and WaeV like this

nicksartthread.jpg

19th person to join the forums

:D

Tiddy-bits:

Hahah, awesome!

You certainly crash a lot more than I expected, after seeing that video. I think you need larger scale tracks, those things are fast.

nickweb, Badga666 and SnipeYa like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

that was a particularly bad race, but it was the only race I actually pressed record on, usually im a bit better than that. And yes, these things are very fast. A lot of people see them and go 'oh, its a toy' to which we reply 'Its a £200-£500 model car that goes up to around 30 MPH"

We're also in the indoor season at the moment and the outdoor track is being re-laid with new parts and corners and shit being put in. Being the indoor season we are pretty limited to the hall we have access to, but its a good practice as the indoor courses are often tight and technical, it helps improve everyone's skill a bit

Takka likes this

nicksartthread.jpg

I can see myself getting into this.  Can you modify them?  What are the battery specs like voltages and current to the motors?  What is considered safe?

oVoXWXc.png

Nick, I have a 16:1 scale nitro off road buggy, next time I visit my dad, and get the bastards fuel lines unblocked and a new clutch in it, I'll chuck a camera on it and show you how we race them where I grew up, this thing hits 80k/ph or roughly 60-70m/ph and that little fucker gets some great air.

Also, when I come for that trip to the UK to finally visit you, I will undoubtedly bring it along, with at least 10 litres of fuel, that's if I haven't totalled it, if so, I'll have a bigger and more fun one, maybe a 10:1 pr 8:1, plenty more fun lol

"It's massive. Probably hard to tell from the picture.                                 "If you're up for it. You've done it before, right?"           

But it broke so now I'm using a puny one..." - ShikuTeshi 2017                                                                          -Tucker933 2017

Skeez: Currently I'm running Orion Carbon 7.4v 4500mAh 45C LiPo batteries into a SKYRC Cheetah 60A sensored brushless Motor. Currently I'm running those at 10% power as I'm still learning the ways of RC racing, but I'm about to power up to 20% soon.

As for modding them, people often paint their body shells and I've seen some wheels painted. I heard of a guy installing a gyro in his car too, somehow it would hog the corners at close to full throttle. Mad stuff.

And as for the dangers, well theres always the danger of slamming into someone's legs at full speed, in some ESC models if your controller dies/goes out of range/gets turned off the buggy can suddenly go full throttle out of control, and then theres the issue of LiPo batteries being rather volatile, you need to look after those bad boys as they can go on fire and/or explode, taking your buggy and/or house/garage with it if youre not careful. Always store the batteries in a firesafe bag.

Badga: The dude I go racing with owns 2 nitro bashers, and I've heard just how fast those fuckers can go, hes trying to sell them though as he's fallen out of love with nitros, but when you come over we should all meet up and have a good day of RC sexyness!

Badga666 likes this

nicksartthread.jpg

Undoubtedly my friend, I think we should put money on it too :P

"It's massive. Probably hard to tell from the picture.                                 "If you're up for it. You've done it before, right?"           

But it broke so now I'm using a puny one..." - ShikuTeshi 2017                                                                          -Tucker933 2017

You wanted more, Nick brought you more!

This is a edited clips video thingy of the Qualifying from 9th Jan 2014. I had upped the power going to the motor to 20% (previously at 10%) and it became so unstable, probably due to my lack of skill and the slipper clutch being too tight so I was doing wheelies. We knocked the power back down to 10% after the first heat.

Heat one I came 5th out of 5

Heat two I came 4th out of 5 (Impressve considering I got out on the track late and finished early, doing about 3 laps in total)

Heat three I came 3rd out of 5 (after limping over the line with 1 wheel drive - a pin fell out of the rear right wheel I had off all night trying to fix the motor alignment)

And in the final I came 5th out of 7 overall. Its not a podium finish but not that bad considering I didn't finish a single qualifying session and my car kept breaking :P

Takka likes this

nicksartthread.jpg

My new wheel pins arrived now, so I can actually put some power into the back wheels! :D

nicksartthread.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0